anyone know what mirin is?? its for s recp..

this recip calls for mirin is it a liquid, solid were would i get this? anyone know or use it. it calls for 1/2 cup of mirin...

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I found this on a message board on the Cooking Light website, hope it helps!!

"mirin = sweet rice wine = sweet sake Pronunciation: MEE-reen Notes: This is a very sweet Japanese rice wine that's used to flavor rice and sauces. It's not usually consumed as a beverage. Aji mirin is salted, so adjust the recipe accordingly. Substitutes: 1 tablespoon dry sherry + � teaspoon sugar OR sherry OR heat two parts sake and one part sugar OR white wine + sugar to taste OR white wine"
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• sweet rice wine huh..... were do i find that lol... but thank you and thank u for taken the time to look for it xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You might be able to find it in the asian section at your grocery store. I don't know about it being at Walmart, they don't carry a lot of specialty stuff, but maybe a different store, that's just groceries? I have a Price Chopper here that I can usually find that kind of stuff at. If not, at the bottom of that, it gvies you things you can do to substitue.

1 tablespoon dry sherry + 1 teaspoon sugar

heat two parts sake and one part sugar

white wine + sugar to taste
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2009