How do you know we're not TRULY happy?

This is kind of a spin-off of another question. Some people of certain faiths seem to think that people who do not follow their faith cannot be TRULY happy, they only THINK they are, or whatever.

My question for those people is, how do you come to the conclusion that you know what's going on in other peoples' heads?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am grateful to my husband and my family and friends. I am joyful to walk along the ocean and to be with nature and to learn new things everyday. I am in awe of all of lifes mystery. Being open minded is like having a giant map in your head. There is always something new around every corner. I think people who believe in one thing is like living in a small town and never leaving or knowing that there are other places other than just your own.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• people don't know by looking at a person, but by seeing their actions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Good question
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm with you metalcowgirl... being as I do not have the gift of mindreading, I have no way of knowing what is going through someone's mind if it isn't my own. And quite honestly, my own baffles me sometimes too! So I take people at their word- if they say they are happy on their path I believe them. It would be kind of foolish of me to think I have cornered the market on happiness and no one else can have some unless they are exactly like me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i'd have to agree with anon..our actions show whether we are truly happy, or not. it comes out in your speech, you actions, how you treat others, etc.. no one religion/belief holds the answer to true happiness. defensive response to others supposed-answers to happiness shows some lack of acceptance in our lives of our own incomplete happiness, IMO. i've known unhappy people who are 'of certain faiths' who weren't totally happy with themselves..and i've also known people of 'no faith' who were just as unhappy. and the reverse! it sounds humanistic, but no other person or people/religion/belief is responsible for our own happiness..only each person for him/herself.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think it is funny that they believe non christians "think" their happy or happy because of 'Satan.' It simply just makes me MORE happy to know that I am not that delusional.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Very good question. As soon as I read it I thought "I do think everyone should be my brand of non-belief!" Wowza.

I'm going to have to mull on this one for a while.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I KNOW that people without God have no joy in their lives. Also they have no love and are unable to love. Only until you have God in your heart can you do these things. Joy- I mean by having joy....you wake up everyday joyful and happy. Grateful for every minute of your life and all those who are in it. Even when things don't go your way you can always see the bright side of things and learn from it. Be humbled by it. Be thankful for all the ups and downs in your life and give due respect to our God for blessings you are aware of and not. Love- What I mean about unable to love. Without understanding God's love and how he loves you.You really cannot love anyone especially yourselves. Not until you accept and understand what real love is.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I know this and see it by your attitudes and remarks in all the posts. Not just the ones I post.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You prove me right everyday in every response.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2009