My daughter falls a lot.

She is 17 months old, and loves to explore and climb things. My Parents are making a huge deal out of her falling, personally I just think that's what toddlers do! But they are making me seem like a bad mom because I haven't called the doctor. We were at the doctor last month for a check up and her ears were fine..she has no fever..and when she is at home she doesn't seem to fall as much as they say she does at their house when they watch her. Any advise?? They are driving me nuts!!

bmonster

Asked by bmonster at 9:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell them to butt out, and to trust you as a mom
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• kids climb and fall all the time. Tell them it's normal and to butt out. :)

Now if she's just walking and falls w/o bumping into anything, then may need to look into depending on how long she's been walking. But if she's just clumbsy, falls over a toy, runs too fast and trips on her feet, or climbs and fall -- well that's normal! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Our second daughter was the same way. but she is perfectly fine. Sometimes all my kids still have issues..lol they run into walls cause they arent paying attention where they are going. Or trip over their own feet. My MIL blames herself for it..lol she isnt the most cordinated person either..lol yes we know its probably not genetic, but its our inside joke. That the kids get their balance from grandma..lol She apologizes to them when they trip over thin air..lol
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Just insist that the doctor has checked her out, and she is still learning her coordination. Thats what I do. My MIL will sometimes coddle my kids, and be right there as if they will fall all the time. If they fall, thats ok as long as they arent hurt. They are kids, they will get right back up and try again. live and learn..thats my motto
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son is 22 months old and he still falls a lot! He's graceful like that. :) Some kids are just that way. My mom teaches 3yr olds and she's never worried about how much my son falls. He just looks terrible all the time cause he always has a visible bruise. Your daughter may fall more at your parents house cause there's more activity over there and she's not as familiar with her surroundings. I wouldn't worry about it, especially at 17 months old.
    SpencersMom2007

Answer by SpencersMom2007 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son is 17 months old and I swear gets a new forehead bruise weekly. They are just trying to make sure you are watching him. Probably not trying to come accross as bad as its sounding. Parents still think of us as their kids,. not being "old" enough to raise a baby and they know how to do it better.. Just relax about it and let them know you are the mom know, you will make sure to ask when you have questions.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2009