How much do you spend on food a week for your family, and how many of you are there?

There are 3 of us and I spend about $100 some dollars a week...but we do make lunches.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• There is three of us, I budget 80 dollars every two weeks. But that includes 30 dollars for dog food, so I spent 100 a month for just food.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• wow!! how do you do it??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• there is two of use we spend about 60 a week
    angel_megan

Answer by angel_megan at 9:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• There is me, my DH and our dog Joe. We don't buy groceries every week. Every payday we spend about $200 to $250 . Having the kids grown,,we can buy the type of food we really want to eat now. that's why we spend to much.

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Technically we have a family of 6. we live with my MIL. and have 2 cats. We spend aproxmiately $50 per week,(we need to replace essentials at least twice a week, milk, eggs, bread, cheese, juice) but every 2 weeks or so we generally go actual grocery shopping and spend upwards of $150-$200. We tend to shop where prices are good. Aldi is our main store, sav-a-lot for bread, walmart is our secondary main store, and sometimes kroger and/or publix for their specials.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I spend roughly about $40-$50 a week for the three of us. I shop mainly at discount stores like Aldi, Save-A-Lot and Price Rite. I try to buy one meat that will last for 2-3 meals, such as a turkey or a chuck roast. When on sale I'll buy 5lbs of ground beef or more and divide them into 1 pound sections and freeze several of them. In the Summer I also grow a lot of my own vegetables and make my own sauces, salsa, and I can tomatoes and such. I try to buy veggies and fruits I don't grow at farmers markets or when on sale and make my own jams, applesauce or freeze what I can.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• On an average month I will spend between $800 and $1200. Me, hubby, 1 y/o, 3 y/o, and my sister. It's only for dinner during the week and breakfast on sundays. No one else is home during the day. I just dont know how mom's can only spend around $100 a week. I would love to know what you are cooking. I am buying generic on some items now to cut back, but why is mine so much more?
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• its me, my , and dd. and we spend $60-$70 a week on food.

that includes 2 gallons of milk and a lot of meat. we buy it in big packages and split it up into dinners and freeze it.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 12:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I spend about $150 every week and a half to two weeks. There's me, DH, and our 1 and 6 year olds. We all eat a lot of fresh fruits, and we eat pretty good dinners, (I'm only allowed to make hamburger helper once a month and NO MARINARA SAUCE. LOL No Speghetti, lasagna... he can't stand the stuff!)

I love to shop around for meats, then you only have to worry about what to serve with it. I try to keep healthy stuff in the house, so that's all there is to snack on. LOL
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I shop at wherehouses like food for less and el super.I shop only when they have the meat sales and fruit sales.I spent this month for two weeks for a family of six people $183.00.That is pretty good I have vegtables for two weeks and meat and chicken and all the sides.If you pack your own food it is cheaper.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 9:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009