Helpp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so my Fiance is joing the Army...We are getting married very soon and I have no idea what to expect!!! He is taking the ASVAB test on Thursday and then I think he goes back to get a physical. Can anyone help me to understand the whole Army thing(training and benefits when your married and have one child.) And also what its like to live on the base where he will be stationed. Thank you soo much:))

MadisynsMom0114

Asked by MadisynsMom0114 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Congrats on becoming an Army wife. Its definately not easy, but you will soon find that you are far stronger than you thought you ever could be. It will bring out the worst in you, but it will also bring out the best.

First he will go to basic, then AIT. Depending on what his MOS (his job) will be, depends on how long AIT will be. Sometimes they are at the same base, sometimes they are at different bases. I want to say average its about 6 months. You will be able to send packages, never send inappropriate pictures or food. They are contraband and he may get in trouble. He probably won't be able to cal during basic, but during AIT he will be able to call occasionally.

If you are married while he is training, you will get BAH (housing allowance) and family separation. He will get BAS (food allowance) but you won't actually see the money, it will go towards his food.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Health insurance- he will enroll you guys when he gets to basic. I beleive it takes 30 days to become active. You go to the army hospitals, unless you get a referral. If you are not at home (on vacation or travelling, and need to go to the er, that is covered). Drs get a bad reputation, and i've come across plenty but you can change primary care providers if you'd like. There are good doctors out there. There are doctors that almost killed my sister and nephew (on different occasions) but there are also drs that saved them.

Dental insurance- I think ts 12 dollars a month for just the spouse, and 25 (I'm not sure if that is exact, but its close) for the entire family. You have to see a dentists off post. It covers 2 cleanings a year, and you have co-pays for just about anything else. Your child(ren) will be automatically enrolled in dental coverage at age 4, but you can enroll them yourself before then.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Commissary priveledges- its the post grocery store. There's no tax, but there is a 5% surcharge. I don't shop at my commissary, I can get alot of things cheaper at walmart but it is convenient if I only need one or two things and i'm in a hurry.

MWR- they run just about everything on post that is recreation. Library, outdoor rec checkout (you can anything from rakes to boats) they sponsor a lot of activites through out the year. Every post has different "attractions, on Fort knox, there is a golf course, mini course course, indoor pool, outdoor pool with water slides (they call it a water park). There is a theater on post, but here its only open friday, saturday, sunday... different places run different hours.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• BAH- basic allowance for housing. depends on where you live. If you live off post, you get that money. If you live on post, it will show up as income, but then as an allotment that is taken out for housing each month. There is usually a wait list . Sometimes you can get on the list just with having orders, other times you have to be signed into the base. Here, there is two lists... lists of people waiting to arrive and once you arrive you get transfered to the second list for when he's actually signed into the unit. As you gain rank, you recieve more BAH.

BAS- food allowance. Stays the same regardless of family size or rank.

If he deploys (or when really) you will recieve family separation. Depending on where he is deployed to and what his job is he could get additional pay.

The PX is like a little shopping mall. food court, barber/beauty shop, some kiosks for things like flowers, hats, shirt, sporting goods
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask! There are lots of websites for support and information.

there are lots of groups on CM for military family and spouses.
    militaryonesource.com
    mypaychart.com (has pay, bah, bas charts)
    ACS (army community service) is always helpful. They have lots of support classes and can give you lots of great info.

There is more, but those are what i think of off hand.
    Good luck!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2009