If the government understands the meaning of addiction, why is it acceptable to tax tobacco so outrageously and then imply the tax will pay for underprivledge children. Last I knew pushers were criminals.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is really a stretch
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Simply-bc tabacco is legal and they will tax it because they can. There are ways to quit the nicotin addiction and its use costs the US billions every year.
    Anonymous

• Poor pitiful addict. How about you use the resources available to you and seek treatment. Otherwise shut up and pay the tax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• No one forced anyone to smoke. They chose to pick it up and anyone who started smoking in the last 30 years has known it is addictive. They choose this and should be taxed. I have no problem with taxing alcohol heaviliy either. Maybe tax fast food and processed foods at a higher rate. All of those I mentioned are reasons healthcare costs are so high. Make those who have created the problem pay for the problem or maybe they will choose to get healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• 10:30, b!tch much? Like you haven't ever complained about taxes?
    The government is all for the $$$, that's the only reason they haven't legalized pot because they can't find a way to tax it, because so many people can grow it so easily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• 10:30 bet you are all for the free handing out of needles for the herion addicts though? lol

Anyway,OP this is what dems do they spend tons and tax and tax.If they don't get enough to fund the schip through taxing cigarettes they will move onto taxing other things which is exactly what will happen of course.
    Anonymous

• I think this tax is an acceptable way to encourage people to quit and also raise money for the government, which is running a gigantic deficit. AND I am a pack a day smoker.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Actually I've discovered MOST people who smoke did it at age 12-13 due to peer pressure, and really didn't understand the addictive, harmful part in it. So, I can't say that I can blame them, unless they were a mature person who started it. I was 13 and had no clue what it was REALLY all about. I think parents need to enforce it more, and teach about it more. I've learned that parents who teach their kids it's disgusting and nasty often gain success because the kids view it as disgusting. When having it normalized around you, it doesn't seem that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• 9:36, this happens to be a tax that isn't REQUIRED. If you don't smoke, you don't have to pay it. Easy peasy. And FYI, I do NOT complain about paying taxes, but I DO complain about how the idiots in Washington are spending the money.
    Anonymous

• Although it is best to quit smoking the choice isn't anyone's but your own.If you do not want to quit my advice would be to get the cheapest cigarrettes or roll your own which is very cheap.
    Anonymous