Potty Training

Hi. My daughter Zoe is 3 years old. She is completely potty trained when it comes to peeing. She doesn't have accidents at all. My problem is with pooping. She flat out refuses to use the potty to poop. I was curious if anyone had the same issue or some info on how to overcome it. When we started potty training, we used treats and have started again. The problem is she won't even try. I'm at a loss. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rachel81805

Asked by rachel81805 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter went through that for a while, but she was just under 2 so I didn't think it was a big deal. She would tell me she had to poop and I would put a diaper on her and she would go, take it off, and throw it away. After about a month of that we sat down and had a little talk. I told her she is big girl and babies poop in diapers and I wasn't buying anymore so if she didn't want to go on the potty she could just poop her pants. She told me that was gross and she wanted her ears pierced, so I said okay go on the potty...The End!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We had the same trouble. How we started was we took our daughter to Target to pick something she would like. When she pooped in the potty, she received it. THen we started a "poop chart" next to her potty. It started out she had to poop once on the potty to receive a "special treat" (i.e. small piece of candy, a sticker, a small book). Then we did that for a few weeks then increased it to she had to get two stickers on the chart to receive a treat, increased it to three, then four, then five. Once she could do this for awhile we would keep track and if she could go 1 week without an accident we would have a "dry party" (we would go to the movies, the botanical center, science center). Then that would slowly increase. It worked like a charm for my daughter she keep an understanding mind about it. Its hard for them and scary (so I read). SHe'll get there!
    lostangel8

Answer by lostangel8 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm going thru the same thing with my 3 year old son. The above answers are excellent ideas.
    LND

Answer by LND at 12:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009