Do your kids really refuse to eat most foods??

I was never like this as a kid. I didn't have a choice really. It was eat it or don't eat...and now I like everything, lol.

I can't imagine cooking different foods for my kids or only feeding them a couple different foods...isn't that bad nutrition wise????

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 10:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter eats everything with the exception of carrots, but she continues to try them. She used to not like pasta and now she does. We varied her diet greatly and fed her curry, mexican food and thai even, beginning at age one. Curry is one of her favorite foods. Brocolli is second. We didn't succumb to the "kid food" temptations, so she eats what we eat and is actually less picky than my husband. We buy and try different produce all the time so her tastes stay varied.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 10:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son has always been a great eater. He loves vegetables and fruits. I have no problems with him. My sd came to live with us and of course tried the "i don't like this" routine. It didn't last long. They both eat what my hubby and I eat. SD likes vegetables now too. My sister, on the other hand, feeds her kids what I consider junk. Whatever they want! They are very picky eaters!
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 10:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Wanted to add: i don't force feed. I have a few things on the table and if she didn't like one thing, there is plenty of other things for her to eat. I don't support forcing children to eat things, but they should at least try them. If you vary food greatly from a young age, they will have a taste for it. If you feed them the same things, they will only want those things. You don't see children in Thailand turning their noses up at lemon grass, or kids in India taking a pass on curry.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 10:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My dd eats almost everyhting. She goes through moods where she just wants what she wants and well, she doesn't get to eat then. She's almost two and I'll give her dinner. If she refuses, then I'll offer a snack later, but that's it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son was offered variety and was almost forced to eat because he refused. He has and does turn his nose up at alot of foods. He knows he has to try bites and he will, but, only a bite. He has been like this since 6 months old though. And, no he wasn't fed junk and he hated french fries, mac and cheese and other kid foods. So, I compromised by finding exactly which meats he would eat and fixing those and finally decided he would eat mixed veggies. Even now, he is 13 and knows that he has to eat those veggies, which, he fixes himself if he doesn't want what I eat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• my kids did chose the "NOT EAT". nd I actually stuck to my guns once and they did not eat for a day and a half- I kinda wanted to see if they would break down and eat finallly- like everyone says they will-
    well, it is just abuse to not find something for your child to eat and let them go that long with nothing but water. I didn't need to be doing that and I didn't need to be instigating an eating disorder.
    I cook foods my husband likes. I cook foods I like. Why not show my kids the same love and thoughtfulness and cook foods they like, too. I offer a variety and inclue something healthy I now they will eat.
    My oldest always ate everything though- still does.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• They eat or don't eat here. The only time I will make something different for them is if my husband has asked for something specific that I *know* the boys won't like. But that happens maybe once or twice a year.

No meals, no snacks.

They've never gone longer than one meal.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Mine would go forever without eating, no lie....so, while I don't constantly make him his own meal, he does have some options and I will make at least one thing he likes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Yes! My boys are getting real picky and I don't know what to do!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 12:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• my DD is almost 3 and she eats almost anything we eat. she goes on her kicks, like for a week she wont eat any meat, but she loves fruits and veggies, especially salad and green beans and mashed potatoes pretty much she hasnt had a veggie/fruit she hasnt liked. now my 7 yr old son...he wont eat much, i do make him try it, but he doesnt get seconds untill he eats the food. i just started that and it works most of the time. he was my first and i didnt make him eat what he didnt want to.
    when he and my stepdaughter say they dont like it i just say then youre not that hungry.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 3:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2009