How can I peel an egg without ruining all the white part?

It never fails that when I go to peel eggs to make egg salad i end up with more yolk then white, because the shell ling sticks the the white part. Please help. . .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Cook the eggs longer, they should boil for 15 to 18 mins, I always pick one up and gently drop in back into the pan, if egg seeps out the crack the egg isn't done, but once the "seepage" is cooked the egg should be done.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It might be how long you're cooking the eggs, or what you do after they are cooked. I always put the eggs in a big pot, so they are all on the bottom. Cover with water and put the lid on and on the stove on high. As soon as it comes to a boil, take it off the stove, leave the lid on and set a timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, empty the water and run cold water over them for a few minutes, until when you pick them up they feel cold. Then try peeling them. Some usually stick no matter what, but I usually don't have too much of a problem with mine. Good luck!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Adding salt to the water that you boil the eggs in makes it easier to peel them. Google "how to hard boil an egg" for more tips.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Ok a hard boiled egg is cooked for 5 minutes and it's done. I put my eggs in the water and turn the burner on high, once the water is boiling I set the timer for 5 sometimes 7 minutes. I dump the hot water out and refil the pan with cold water and replace the water as needed until the eggs are cool enough to touch. Then you smash the shell all around until the entire thing is cracjed all over, you then simply peel the egg, I have NEVER had the whites come off this way. Good Luck. Cook them too long they become rubbery.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It sounds like maybe you aren't cooking them long enough! AND make sure you start with COLD water and then heat to boiling. I let them boil about 10 minutes, then I put a lid on the pan, shut the stove off and let them sit. I also make sure they are cool before peeling! Hope this helps!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 10:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have not tried cooking my eggs for 20 minutes- because when I have cooked them for 15 the yolks get really dark- to maintain a yellow yolk I personally put the eggs in a big pot, cover with water and as soon as they start to boil I start the timer for 10 minutes (hence the name of a ten minute egg) then I put them in cold water until the eggs are nice and cool- haven't had a problem with the whites coming off yet :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 10:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• you have to use "older" eggs! Buy the eggs at least 2 weeks before you want to hard boil them and the hard only means the condition of the yolk it does not mean to boil them hard. bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes then cover and reast for 10. then cool asap and peel asap under running water..piece of cake! Since I assume you want Easter eggs I would look for the closest use by date or buy eggs from a place that doesn't sell them very quickly.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• thank you all for helkping me with this information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Put your eggs in the sauce pan. cover with an inch of water over the eggs. Bring to a rapid boil. Take off stove and cover. Let sit for a good 15-20 mins. I add a little vinager to the water and it gives them more flexible shell. Mine never stick to the shell. Rinse with cold water and peel.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Using a spoon helps. I didn't ever know this until the last year or so, but you crack the shell a bit and then slide the spoon under the shell. It fits great around the egg and you can just kinda slide the egg apart from it's shell. It works great!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009