pedialyte to a new born??

my daughter has been projectile throwing up and she is going to see her pediatrician about it but in the mean time, the pharmacist said to give her pedialyte. shes a month and 3 weeks old.
i understand it helps so she wont get dehydrated but pedialyte that young????

would you give it to your baby??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, and i have
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 10:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• yes I would. It will keep her hydrated its really easy for babies that little to get dehydrated and will end up having to get IV's and such. You don't want this.. but if you are really worried call and talk to the nurse before you get her in the dr. I would say its fine especially if the pharmacist said so
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• yes I have when my son was a few months old the ped told me to...just keep trying to give it to her and if she refuses it dont stop trying..
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• isnt nursing enough though??
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It is as long as she is continuing to have enough wet diapers and does not seem dehydrated. Pedialyte contains specific electrolytes that are needed when the baby is dehydrated or has diarrhea.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If the baby is projectile vomiting, then obviously you don't want to continue to only nurse her! Think about it, if YOU were vomiting would you rather have milk or gatorade?? pedialyte is like baby gatorade.
    Anonymous

• My baby is just getting over projectile vomiting and diarrhea. He is four weeks old and our doctor told us to give him pedialyte for 24 hours. We did. He felt much better.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009