• In the Spotlight:

anybody ever deatl with usaa insurance? a lady hit my car with her door and she has usaa insurance and they are saying that the wind caught her door and hit my car so it was an act of God anf they aren't paying for it. It's not worth filing with my insurance because my deductable is more than the price to fix it. what should i do?

chill6405

Asked by chill6405 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Talk to your insurance company and see if they can make them pay for it. Other than that, I would think your only option would be taking them to court if they say they aren't going to pay.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i did and they would have to file it first then sue them which would look bad on my part. and i would havee to pay 500 when it should on,y cost about 300 to fix it.
    chill6405

Answer by chill6405 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have usaa insurance. well what's the damage to your car exactly? was it in fact a windy day? your insurance has to be involved if her insurance is involved. you can try to sue her yourself but if in fact she can prove it was a windy day with strong winds she'd probably win. I am very very happy with usaa, have had them for years with an accident our fault and another some one else's fault. Look at your car's damage when your not upset to decide to pursue it or not. having a high deductible is usually chosen because any damage to that point either isn't worth fixing or it's affordable to fix without upping rates.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• so you'd pay 500 dollars but get back 300 if you win. You just have to look at your damage and decide. What's the damage to her car?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We have USAA and this seems out of the norm for them. They are one of the easist companies I've ever delt with. I'd try again.
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• In my opinion, they are a bunch of shady bastards. My husband had a credit card and insurance threw them before we got married. When we added me and my car, it went up almost a grand. (my car was older and i had no driving violations). We got notice that our insurance was cancelled for nonpayment. And where did our money go? to the credit card. So the next month we didn't make the credit card payment. Then they closed the credit account for nonpayment, after one month! They also repossed my husbands car. When he refinanced it, he was left to pay for the interest but no one contacted us. When we went to get another vehicle, we found the repo on his credit so we called and they said he owed 3000 for interest, then 6000 on top of that for interest and penalties. They took the car and now we are getting letters from collection agencies for the original value of the loan, 12,000.

Probably you are screwed. Their shady.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I WORK @ A BODY SHOP AND I DEAL ALOT WITH INSURANCE COMPANIES,USAA IS ONE OF THEM. I HAVE SEEN YOUR CASE ALOT. IF THE LADY THAT HIT U ADMITS THAT IT WAS HER FAULT THEY HAVE TO PAY IT BY LAW!! TALK TO YOUR INS. ABOUT "SUBROGATION" MEANS THAT YOUR INSURANCE WILL PAY THE REPAIR SHOP AND COLLECT THE MONEY FROM USSA THEMSELVES. ABOUT THE DED. IT ALL DEPENDES ON UR INS. SOMETIMES THEY'LL REIMBURSE YOU FOR IT. GOOD LUCK!!!
    COOKY81

Answer by COOKY81 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have usaa and we are very, very happy with their service. A wind gust caught my door and it was basically stuck, usaa paid for the whole thing to be fixed with no problem. They never mentioned anything about an act of God. I would have my insurance company speak with someone in charge at usaa. Good luck!
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 1:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have had USAA for years (house ins, car ins, credit card) and have not had any problems. We had three accidents in three years and our insurance only went up $20 a month and eventually went back down (two weather related hits and I backed into a car in my truck).
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i don't understand why they are making a big deal of this. just fix my door for goodness sake!!! i'm so upset about this. i drivign a brand new car with a chunk out of my door handle.
    chill6405

Answer by chill6405 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2009