• In the Spotlight:

Is my cat pregnant??

How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She was in heat when she got outside... (3 nights in a row!) And she just came home last night...she's not in heat anymore and is acting normal. Is there any way to actually tell if she's pregnant or not?? I'm slightly worried about her if she is pregnant. She's a very small cat. She's 1 1/2 years old but she's the size of a 6 month old cat. The vet said she's just going to be a very small cat forever. I'm afraid it will kill her to have kittens. My mom said she'll be okay, she'll just have a few small kittens. What does everyone think??

Kaytlynsmommy

Asked by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pets

• From experience, I've worked with animals at a shelter and I've seen very small cats carry a full litter of kittens, they can have 5 to 7 on average per litter. Commonly not all of the kittens will survive. My suggestion would be to bring her to a vet. They may tell you that the cat is too small to carry a litter of kittens...if that is the case and she is pregnant PLEASE consider aborting the kittens to save your cat's life. I'm not all for abortion. I don't want to upset anyone there. It's just that I've seen the horrors of overpopulation in an animal shelter...

If she's pregnant, but the vet doesn't have any concerns, than neither should you. I'd make sure to have a can of powdered formula for kittens on hand and a bottle, in case the mother chooses not to nurse one or more of the kittens, and keep your cat indoors. Watch her for nesting, find where she sleeps a lot, so you'll know when the time comes. Goodluck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• idk buy test lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• so if it might kill her to have kittens why haven't you gotten her fixed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Wow, you have gotten some really helpful answers here. Anyway, here is what I found for signs of pregnancy:

Heat Cycle Suddenly Stops
    Increased Appetite
    Pink, Prominent Nipples
    Increased Sleeping
    Vomiting
    A Firm Abdomen
    “Nesting” Behaviors
    More Affectionate Behaviors
    More Frequent Urination

here is where I got those from: http://cat-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/is_my_cat_pregnant

jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You can take her to the vet and I'm sure they can find out. As for it killing her...nature has a funny way of working these things out. Most of the time and animal will only carry what it can handle. So if she is small for her size...I doubt her body would become pregnant with anything she couldn't handle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh! You can get formula at walmart, but I'd talk to your vet about brands. Usually they sell it at the vets office too. They also sell bottles at both places. Use a pin to poke a hole in the nipple, you might need to poke a few holes.. Ask about deworming and delousing, and what brands would be safest for your cat during pregnancy. Remember that whatever the mother might have, the kittens will have too. Too many fleas can kill kittens..I've seen it firsthand with my family cat's kittens..so please have the mother deloused before she gives birth!

Again, good luck. I love watching baby kittens growing...I fostered a littler of two whose mother had been hit by a car and killed..it was so much fun. Except having to help them go poop...yuck..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I was a tiny girl (5 foot 100 lb) before I got pregnant and I had so many people tell me I wasn't going to be able to deliver a baby! It made me so mad and it was so rude. I can't tell you how many people told me that. I had no problems with my size delivering him. So size doesn't really matter.If your really worried about it.. take her to the vet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The only way to tell is with time.... if it just happened you or your vet wont be able to tell just yet. If your not going to take her to the vet you will eventually be able to tell. In about 3 weeks you should check her nipples (is p/g) they will be very prominent and pink and you should see her belly getting bigger.... cats are p/g about 60 to 70 days
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 11:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My cat got pregnant at 4 months of age! The vet wouldnt even let us spay her until she was 6 months....I could tell in about 1 month that she was. Her nipples got bigger and she became very clingy to me and she nested all the time. It got to where we had to keep her inside so she wouldn't go have her babies in a shed or something outside. Also another month later you could see and feel her babies rolling around it was neat! good luck
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh I meant to tell you since my kitty was still 4 months old I thought the same,and she had her first naturally and after 8 hours of not feeding that one and still painting and moaning I took her to the vet and she had two more by c section, because she was so tiny she couldn't deliver naturally. The vet said she would have died if I didn't take her in. So take your cat to just get checked and they will let you know if she should be able to or not
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009