HUGE problem with Stairs..any suggestions!!!! Moving in May 1st HELP.

Hi everyone, my son is 10 months old, we're moving into a town house on May 1st! There are 2 set's of stairs..these places are kinda older, so the don't have the same kind of modern style of having 2 walls on each side of the steps. So We can't attach a baby gate, it's just a railing on one side, on both set's of stairs...very worried about the ones going down to the basement. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and if you have any good suggestions on how to block off the stairs. I could use something mesh I guess...and attach it to the rail and then to the wall...make sure it's on super good, so he can't push through it...but that's all I can think of. Anyone else have this same prob..or any good suggestions that are super safe!!! THANKS LADIES.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our steps are like this, sorta. We have an open foyer, and our steps wind down the right side of the foyer. They are also hardwood, so if someone were to fall (and I've slipped many time myself), it's pretty ugly. So when my daughter was born, I searched and searched for gates that hooked to rails. I finally found some. Our stairs expand at the top and bottom. So we had to get one that expands and adjusts (the baseboards at the bottm stick out more than the wall) There are a lot of stair gates to choose from. my biggest worry at the top of the steps would be not to use a retention gate, but one that's actually drilled into the wall and rail. cont.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We got this gate for the top of the stairs. i'm not sure why it says online only, I bought it at the Babies R Us store. Anyhow, good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Also, www.onestepahead.com has lots of baby gates for the top of stairs. If you can't drill onto your posts there are kits that help you get around that.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2009