how many bottles?

My husband and I are planning to take my son's bottle away from him in just a little over a month. since he is already 11 months old I thought it would be best to only let him have a botte at night. It's not like he goes hungry otherwise, he eats 3 meals a day of oatmeal and fruit and barley and a veggie. I figured t would be est to gradually start tapering him off the bottle. What are your thoughts on this?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Instead of taking away bottles at first. Offer milk in a sippy. If he will take it, replace meal bottles with that. Then day bottles, then morning bottles, then night bottles. Ease him off and he might not realize he's off the bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i would do it slowly...it is wy easier
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• So its ok to start limiting his bottle to bedtime?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• yes
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If he can drink from a sippy cup, make the switch. There is no reason for him to have a bottle at all if he can drink from a sippy.

If you're talking about getting rid of his formula, I wouldn't until he's eating table foods and has a balanced diet.

Either way, get rid of the bottle. He can have his formula in a sippy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would eliminate the bottle at bedtime as soon as I could. I never gave my son a bottle or sippy to take to bed, but the people that I know who have, had a harder time weaning them off of the bottle. My son drinks out of a straw cup and has since he was a little under a year old (almost 2 now) I recommend getting him off the bottle completely. We didnt transition slowly. Why would do it slowly? If he takes a sippy cup, at all then he doesnt need a bottle at all.
    DandieMandie

Answer by DandieMandie at 11:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I always gave Mikey bottles with his meals but I would give him juice in a sippy cup but once he turn 1 I throw out all of the bottles and gave him milk in the sippy cup and he took to the cup right away.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• She didn't mean she lays him down with a bottle. She means the one right before bed or at night. And why not ease them into no bottles instead of just ripping away their comfort? It can be done with little to no stress very easily.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2009