BF Baby gaining too much weight....

My daughter was born 3/03/09, she weighed 6 lbs 2 oz's. I took her for a check up at 1 week old, and she weighed 6lbs 4 oz's. April 6th she had her one month check up, and she weighed a whopping 9lbs and 4 oz's. Before her one month check up, i was happy with her plumping up. She looks great. I figured she was just playing catch up since she was on the small side at birth...Pedi says she has gained to much,make sure i feed her at the very least every 2 hours, and i do that. Sometimes its 3 or 4 hours that go by, and she'll sleep about 4 hours through the night.
There was just one day,the day before her 1 month check up, she had a fussy period that lasted a long time. I figured it was gas, or she needed to to pass a BM. She wanted to comfort suck, and i let her. She wasn't actually drinking though, just nibbling. The fussy period only lasted a few hours.
Do you think that had anything to do with her weight at the pedi's.

EscVelocity

Asked by EscVelocity at 11:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they just base the baby on a chart that compares them to other baby's even though they tell us not to do that cuz every baby is different. my daughter was born at 5.14 and son at 6.2 they both doubled by their 2 months. and I was even told with my daughter she was over weight but I didnt care, as soon as she started walking she lost most of it and now is balancing out at 3 years old and my son is 4 months and closing in on 20lbs and they are telling me he's over weight but I tell the Dr atleast he is healthy. and she was breast feed and he is bottled feed, so if they are telling you its different for gaining weight I dont think so it just depends on how the child gains weight, I would not worry she will balance out
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 12:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• She may just be fattening up for a growth spurt. Kids grow in different patters, but generally in the same overall pattern. I would expect your pedi to express concorn over the weight, but to wait it out and see how baby continues to grow. I had the opposite. Pedi was concerned that dd wasn't gaininng weight. He offered some recommendations and watched her weight for a week, changed approach, checked again in a week and then we went to formula to add the weight. Hopefully at the next appoint, your ddwill have evened out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If her height and weight were both larger then you have nothing to worry about. It sounds like your pedi is a little...odd? I would take her for a second opinion elsewhere. Her weight sounds awesome to me. It sounds like he wants her on a bottle feeding schedule and she isn't bottle fed. Find a ped that understands and supports breastfeeding...IMMEDIATELY!
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You are giving her the best that you can! Formula is not going to change this! Do what your gut is telling you and ignore the rest...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• A fat, breast fed baby is nothing to worry about. She's getting what she needs, and what she wants. She's probably about to have a growth spurt. And if I were you, I'd find a new pediatrician.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 12:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with Mamaroberts!
    My nephews were the fattest breastfed babies I have ever seen. I mean they both weighed over 35 lbs at one year. As soon as they started walking the slimmed right down.
    I joke with my SIL that she has the heavy whipping cream breast milk and I have the skim breast milk, because my babies are skinny.
    Don't worry overmuch about it. Breast milk is best! You are doing a good job Momma!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thanks for all your replies and support, i feel much better now. I have never been scolded at a pedi's office ever!...lol

I was thinking about it a bit, i feed from one breast at a time. She might be just getting alot of the good stuff...Hind milk. I'm not gonna change a thing though.

The pedi did ask first thing if i was still breast feeding, then how many ounces. I said i didn't know. Then she asked if i pump milk, i said no. Then she looked frustrated. LOL
    EscVelocity

Answer by EscVelocity at 12:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would consider looking for a different ped. One that doesn't understand that breastfeeding moms don't know how many ounces a baby takes is a doof.
    You should also consider that she scolded you...you are an adult and should not feel scolded for feeding your baby when she is hungry.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Her weight sounds fine. My son grew a ton the first few months... between his 2nd and 3 month the gained 4 lbs!! By the time he was 6 months though it started to slow down. Just keep feeding her on demand.
    I've only ever see one baby that seemed too fat (3 month old that was 20lbs! and she liked to pacify at the breast so was taking in a lot of extra calories) But for all I know she has slimmed down since.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well, that's one thing i might change. I will probably look for a different pediatrician.
    EscVelocity

Answer by EscVelocity at 1:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009