First day jitters

How do you help your child and yourself get over first day of school jitters? My son starts school in August and I have no clue what to expect..

Alexsmom04

Asked by Alexsmom04 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make him look forward to it! I got him new undies (his favorite characters of course), new shirts, shorts, shoes, backpack (of course!) at back to school time and told him he'd get to use them when school started. I'd remind him a few days before, then the day before of those things.

I also told him he'd be a REAL big boy by going to school and that he was going to meet new friends to play with, learn new games, new things, etc.

Also, do this for every grade (this is great for entering high school as well!)- take him to the school at least twice during the summer..maybe once in July and once the week or so before school. Check with the office - tell them you just want to show him the school and most will be okay with it. Show him the important stuff - kindergarten wing, the library, the nurses, the playground, and lunch area if he'll have lunch there. Sometimes the rooms will be open - let him wander around a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I went to a daycare that was next to the school so I already knew some of the classmates. My dad was more nervous than I was! If he has daycare or neighborhood playmates that are going to be in his class, hook them up over the summer. If he knows someone he won't be worried at all. Now you on the other hand?? Can't help ya there. ;-)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i think that parents get more worried and jittery than the kids. i know my SS wont have too much trouble. his sister and all of his cousins go to the school. He has been to the school tons of times for activities for his sister. we also go eat lunch with his sister sometimes and i always make sure to walk by the kindergarten rooms.

i would reccommend trying to meet his teacher before school starts, join the PTO, do whatever you can to get yourself involved in your child's school. they will love it and you will feel more connected about what is going on in the school.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I've been there 3 time and I say Its best to spend an awesome summer together and not worry about it now. I know its hard to let go, my DH and I always leave the building a little teary-eyed. We did with all three kinder years. Its going to be exciting, don't worry too much, just remember if your showing weakness your child will feed from it. My oldest just couldn't wait to say see ya, but the last two were having a little seperation anxiety. You just have to let them know you will be there to pick them up, that they will see you soon and you are just down the road. Not very far away and most importantly the teacher is there to help and take good care of them.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Also, don't show him that you are nervous when that first day comes!

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I was lucky. My soon started Kindergarten with two of his cousins. They helped each other. Plus, my nephew is in 5th grade.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Thanks ladies! you all had great advice and I really appreciate it!
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009