Vermont Gov. Douglas Vetoes Gay Marriage Bill

Gov. Jim Douglas on Monday issued his promised veto of a gay marriage bill, setting up what's bound to be a close vote in the House on Tuesday as supporters try to muster the two-thirds majority needed for an override.

So the Gov. can veto, the state House of reps then over ride....does THAT end it? Who should get the FINAL say?

Like in CA. The people voted against gay marriage which over rode the gov't decision right? Now people are taking that to the courts. So do the COURTS get the final say?

It just strikes me as a little crazy. This issue keeps going in circles! It's legalized, people rush out and get married, then the decision is overtutrned and no one knows what to do about those marriages!!

So MY take is that this is an issue the FEDERAL gov't needs to decide (yes I know, goes against my usual repub leanings). Because marriage is such a huge thing when it comes to next of kin and ins bebefits.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• CON'T

Who do YOU think should make the final decision on gay marriage?

Either way you feel on the actual issue.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Honestly, I dont understand why there has to be a vote on someone being able to marry who ever they want.. As long as theyre human, whats the big deal?? There is no argument against gay marriage except religious morals, and that shouldnt even be allowed to be an issue,
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think the people should get the final say. Leave government out of it. If I was gay, I would want the opportunity to marry someone I love.

I think it's a shame so many people feel that they have the right to dictate who can get married and who can't.

Live and let live. Good motto to go by yet so many people don't.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• "I think it's a shame so many people feel that they have the right to dictate who can get married and who can't. "

This is why I think that the people NOR the government should have any say.. Its ridiculous in the first place to be illegal.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

_________

I guess I should have clarified myself..I meant to say the people involved..not the "people" like prop 8. That sucked.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Lol, yes it did... and I was highly surprised that more people voted yes.. I thought CA was such a gay state. rofl just kidding..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• People love to let he majority rule ( elections) except when they vote down an issue that's one of their favorites. When the people vote something down because they don't want it, liberal judges step in and go against what the people want, because they"know" better than the people.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• here we gooo! Liberal bashing! This shouldn't be an issue of liberal v. democrat but a human issue. All people in this country should be able to share the same happiness when it comes to marriage. If it's an issue on guns or education that should be up to the people. Why on earth should anyone care who's allowed to marry?

I would never let my beliefs dictate how someone else lives.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 12:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• civil rights should not be decided by mob rule
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well, the Vermont Senate just voted to override the veto so gay marriage is officially legal in vermont!!!!

http://perezhilton.com/2009-04-07-vermont-too
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 12:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009