• In the Spotlight:

This is for those of you whom are pro-choice...

Just a question. I understand that some of you think its alright to have abortions, when not NEEDED medically. And some, if not all, of you claim that you aren't killing an actual baby. At what point does a fetus become a baby? When they can breathe on their own? When they leave the womb? When they have a heartbeat? When they develop a brain? I'm just curious, I really don't want any drama or bashing, just a simple serious answer.... Thanks =]

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 11:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree with your concerns, Mommykayti. It IS hard for us to determine where life begins. That's why everyone has a different opinion. The only time I feel that an abortion is justfied is when a child/woman did not have a choice (rape/molestation) AND to keep the baby would present a real life trheatening situation for the mother. She did not ask for that dilemma. Even so, she will still have to live with the pain, regardless of the outcome. I also agree with the poster who said that partial birth abortions are barbaric. If we witnessed an animal or another alien race doing something like that, (killing their own young as they emerge from the womb) we would probably conclude that they are mad, dangerous, or uncivilized.
    Darkwolf

Answer by Darkwolf at 1:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• When it has any chance of survival on it's own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I say when it resembles a human. Cause they don't at first.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I personally won't have an abortion unless I have been raped or I would die giving birth. I believe that each person has the right to decide what is best for them, even if I may not agree with the decision. I do NOT believe that abortion should be used as a method of birth control. I do not believe an abortion should be performed after the first trimester unless there is a medical reason.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thanks ladies.
    Bradensmyson, are you pro choice? and did you mean when it resembles a human on the ultrasound? or when it does, but you have to have other medical tools to see it that way??
    and anonymous, does that mean at twenty weeks?
    im pretty sure thats the earliest known that a child has lived? im going to go look that up now though =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Just read 25 weeks, but im going to keep looking =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I am pro-choice, I don't think I would ever get an abortion unless my life was in serious danger, but I do believe every woman deserves a choice. I also do not believe in late term (after 1st trimester) abortions unless medically necessary.I think that a fetus is a baby when they can survive out of the womb.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Okay now i read that 4/10 babies survive at 23 weeks, getting closer =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• So, goaliemom.... the beginning of the 2nd trimester is fine with you (but not for you to do it yourself) even though the baby will not survive on its own, but its not medically necessary? I'm a little confused... can you explain a little further, i might just be mis-reading it =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think anytime after the first trimester.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2009