Help!! Car sick toddler - long car trip looming...

My son is 17 mths. old and has developed car sickness - he's my 4th and my only car sick kid. Anyone have any tips to help with this? We are using motion sickness homeopathics...helps in the short term, but we have two long car trips coming up - one is 6hrs. one way and the other about 10 hrs. Dramamine says for ages 2 and up...going to ask the ped next month, but thought you ladies are the best resource...
Please help!

used2chaos

Asked by used2chaos at 11:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Also find some ginger snap cookies or other ginger treats that he will eat. Ginger is actually more effective than dramamine at helping motion sickness. Just be sure whatever you get actually has ginger in it. Artifical flavors don't work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think they need to sit up high and be able to see out the window. Make sure he is getting plenty of cool air. My mom always kept an ice cream bucket with washcloths in it so if we did get sick we could use the "barf bucket". I think she gave us benadryl sometimes for trips so we would sleep...LOL not sure if you can do that anymore but dramamine may be the same thing idk?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Bonine is a motion sickness and has a formula for kids- but it is probably ages 2 and up.

my son was very car sick-still gets that way at 15.

sitting by a windoe, not in the middle of the seat helps him a lot. having something to nibble on helps him, but what helps him the most is SLEEPING. His body has developed a coping mechanism- he instantly falls alseep on trips.

Talk to your doctor about Benadryl to help him sleep.

take breaks evrey 2 hours and let him walk around, eat and drink.

that's what helps my son. hopefully you'll find some tings that work.
    (and keep a barf bag close at hand..LOL. Fabreeze, wipies...)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Good idea to ask the doc. Try a magnetic bracelet if you can find one small enough..that he'll wear. Have some cold washcloths on hand...Does he have a trigger in the car, or is it just being in the car.. maybe the carseat needs to be at a different angle or something?

I used to get carsick when I was little, until I learned that if I could see the road I was fine. So I rode in the middle all the time. I still can't ride in the back seat unless I'm in the middle.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• you put he or she beside the driver that is what i do it works for me
    crapppppy

Answer by crapppppy at 5:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009