Please help me! How can I get my 10 mo. old to sleep through the night?

This is becoming ridiculous. I'm having the hardest time with my daughter going to sleep at night. I've been able to somewhat get her to sleep in her own bed (although that is a nightmare to go through, as well). However, she'll wake up several times throughout the night in order to breastfeed. Nothing else will get her to sleep.
I have taken every bit of advice that everyone has given me. i.e. giving her solid food or formula before bed.

I don't know what to do anymore, but I'm getting really frustrated with her and I don't want to!

Mama_Naama

Asked by Mama_Naama at 11:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 8 mon. still wakes up 3 times a night and I'm like you, I've tried EVERYTHING! I've just had to accept the fact that babies will sleep through the night when they want to on their own time. I've talked to some moms who's babies didn't sleep through the night until they were 2. So, I guess just that's honestly the best advice I can give you is to just get used to it. GL!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• quite fighting a fight you can win, it will only wear you out and as you said it becomes frustrating, i wouldnt expect a 10 month old to sleep through the night my almost 3 year old still wakes up sometimes, they are kids not teenagers they wake up. quite fighting it so much and just go with the flow. my daughter is a year and half, only breast fed no bottles i stopped about 4 months ago and when i stopped she went into her own crib and sometimes she sleeps through the nights and sometimes she doesnt. its just how they are ya know
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 12:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Sounds to me that she hasn't learned how to self sooth in order to put herself back to sleep - which is VERY important in her development for her future - my son didn't learn this either and when he was 8 months old he actually woke up every hour for 20 minutes at a time for 3 days straight,. I was at my wits end and brought him in to the doctor. He explained that he never learned to self sooth due to his colic - I decided to do the CIO method since he thought we were too far to realitstically try much else if I wanted to fix it fast. but Healthy sleep habits, happy child is a book i would recommend to you because there are SO many methods that you can pick what works for you and your family good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My daughter started sleeping all night at 3 months and it was a matter or me ignoring her for a short time period at a time. Start out letting them fuss for 5 minutes then check on them, then let them go 10. She did this up to 30 minutes for 2 days and stopped. I asked my dr because she likes getting up at 3 am and she's not really hungry but she is up and he said ignore her and let her put herself to sleep. Their body clock tells them they slept long enough. He said she can go up to 12 hours without eating. I feed her solids 1 hour before bed and a bottle right at bed time then lay her down and she fusses or talks herself to sleep. Its a matter of you finding a good routine and just letting them fuss it out. They wont die from it and that was the hardest thing for me to hear is she wont die from crying.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009