How do you know when its time to start feeding your baby something besides formula?

My almost 2 months old son eats about 8oz everytime he eats. And I was wondering when I can start giving him baby cereal or baby food or anything for that matter.

marlee1991

Asked by marlee1991 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The doctores recommend waiting to feed cereal until 4-6 months. Each child is different though.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i started with baby cereal at 3 1/2 months because my daughter was eating so much at every feeding it depends on the baby if you try to feed him food and he spits it all back out and cannt work his toungue at all then he is not ready yet...
    Anonymous

• 4-6 months. Until then, just give him his formula when he wants it, how much he wants it. There's no reason for food until later. It's just going to cut the number of calories he's taking each day, something he needs for his growth and development.

Baby foods are only for practice, not for nutrition anyway.

My boys were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• LOL My son just started eating cereal a couple weeks ago when he turned four months old. I feed it to him and he looks at me like WTH??? LOL But I agree it's just for practice not nutritional.

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• As you mother there are things you will just know! There is really no right or wrong answer. Watch for clues from your LO. My kids started cereal at different times. My last child was eating stage 1 jar food at 4 months. I breastfed her until she was 3 months and when we switched to formula at 4 months she was still hungry. we tried cereal and it helped for a little while. She would not nap long and she never slept through the night. Poor baby was really hungry. So my advice would be for you to listen to your LO.

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 12:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Our daughter had cereal at 2 months and it was recommended by the dr. Try a little and see how he reacts so you don't give him a belly ache.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009