Does anyone know at what age your child should know their colors? I'm worried my son is color blind. How do I test it?

I'm worried because he knows his letters, his numbers and he's picking up new words every day but he doesn't know colors. He keeps saying everything is 'blue'. He's 22 months old. Is this normal? My dad is color blind so I'm really stressing out! Please help!!

SpencersMom2007

Asked by SpencersMom2007 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be that...but, my son was like that and he isn't color blind. He never could get blue and black
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• First off, he is still a little young to really know that information. He isn't even 2 yet and most kids don't have their colors down until closer to three. My son is 28 months and knows all of his. But, because of the color blindness running in my family with all of the males, we were worried and worked extra hard with him. You can take him to an eye doctor and he can look at his eyes and actually tell you. We took our son and he confirmed that he is not color blind.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• DDry is right give it more time my son to be 3 year old daughter still mixxes up blue green and black she gets the others right but I guess the dark colors confuse her, I tell her no try again if she misse ten she will wait a sec and answer again usuallyright, it takes practice and time
    mom2married7

Answer by mom2married7 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• By 30 months SOME (not even half) of all kids can name ONE color correctly.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-25-to-30-months_1496593.bc

By 34 monts MOST (but not all) can name at least one color correctly.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-31-to-36-months_1496595.bc

How can you test for color blindness?
    Try sorting games. Get 3 or 4 blocks in two different colors. Then sort them into piles based on color. See if he can. Start with big differences like blue and yellow. If he can do that, try red and green (red/green colorblindness is the most common). Be aware that sorting by anything - shape, color, etc - is a skill in itself. He may not be ready to sort things. So, not being able to do this does NOT mean he is colorblind.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• See if he can match colors. My 2 year old just recently started knowing his colors. But he's been able to match them for quite some time...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son was the same way... he learned letters and numbers first. He even knew the sounds each letter made before he learned colors lol. He was right around 3 when he finally got it. My older kids learned colors before letters and numbers and learned colors at an earlier age... and to me colors would seem easier than letters and sounds... but I guess not for some kiddos ;-) lol
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If he knows his numbers. Check out the color blindness tests at your pediatricians. 

Mamabearisback

Answer by Mamabearisback at 3:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thank you, ladies. I won't stress too much anymore!
    SpencersMom2007

Answer by SpencersMom2007 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009