Why is my pet Betta Fish always floating to the top?

She seems happy. But, she doesn't swim, she floats? I feed her very little... just one or two little pellets every other day, so I don't think I'm overfeeding her. Is this just a chronic condition?

Asked by cindycindy at 12:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pets

• check your water conditions.... PH, Nitrates etc... most pet stores will do it for free just take in a sample of your water

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Mine did that. I had two of them and I would think they were dead but no, they just sit there. One did die two years later though. I don't know why.

Answer by Dayija at 12:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• are you sure you are feeding her enough? I feed mine once a day and like a pinch (i use the flakes) my fish just kinda floats around too sometimes. They say they like a "day and night" schedule. So i put my beta in the kitchen close to the window where its just that light during the day and dark at supposudly makes them happier

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thanks Wild! I'll definitely check the water PH (i change the water once a week, but maybe I need to do it more often).

Luvs, I read somewhere that you're not supposed to feed them everyday. But, I do give her a happy daytime/nightime environment. She goes to sleep when I do. It's cute.

Answer by cindycindy at 12:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i feed mine once every 3-4 days..change the water like once a month..and hes as happy as can be..sometimes he does look like hes dead tho..always scares my daughter "MOMMY OSCARS DEAD!!!!!" but hes not...and we've had this fish for almost 2 years now

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

This question was posed at:

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• they actually breathe surface air...goldfish too. they live naturally i puddles, and take in the same oxygen we do...i don't know the whole science behind it, but thats y bettas and goldfish don't require air pumps

Answer by yomamaporter at 10:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Ours did that and she just died a week ago.

Answer by momofsixangels at 2:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2009