a ban on pets

i saw this link and not sure what i think about it. what do you guys think about it? i kinda feel that some species of pets should not be taken out of the environment but i don't like that something like this would cost people to pay a lot to keep their pet. not sure why they are doing this. does peta have anything to do with it? i don't know.

http://www.pijac.org/files/public/669_Short_W_Comm.pdf

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Wow. this is horrible. I agree with Erin1108 that it's probably happening because of irresponsible pet owners. Don't they get that this is just punishing those of us who are responsible. I own a few different animals that would fall under non native and would be devistated if I could no longer get them their veterinary care or let them travel. My african grey loves traveling with me and my DH across state lines to visit the in laws. If this passes I'll have to board him somewhere and that would be aweful. He's never had to stay with someone when we went away. Not to mention the small animal part. We breed show rabbits, and the breeds aren't native to the US. This bill would make that illegal and take away a lot of fun for adults and 4-H kids who attend these bunny shows.
    Thanks for letting us know about this! I am definitely going to take action against it.
    Tigress0717

Answer by Tigress0717 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Wow...! I'm definately going to take action against this. You should journal this and post in any and all pet groups you are a member of.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Why are they doing this? What are the reasons? I know ferrets are supposedly over populated in CA and people just leave them loose.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Probably the reason this is happening is because many people get animals such as snakes, fish, and reptiles that are not native to our enviroment, realize they can't take care of them or decide they don't want them, and set them loose in their backyard or a local pond. This means that many animals are set loose in an environment that is not condusive to them and it will affect the other wildlife and plant life in that area. Florida is having a huge problem with pythons and iguanas that people got when they were little, and didn't want to feed as they got older.

I don't agree that this is fair to those who are responsible pet owners, but unfortunately, we may have to pay the price of those who are irresponsible.
    Erin1108

Answer by Erin1108 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thats so stupid!!! I dont fall under that but I know people who do and thats so not fair!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009