WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

ANY ORTHODONIST OUT THERE? I NEED A SECOND OPINION. I HAVE A 4 YR. DAUGHTER. I TOOK HER TO HER 6MONTH CHECK-UP YESTERDAY. SHE HAS NO CAVITIES. (TRY TO PICTURE IT PLEASE) HER TWO BOTTOM TEETH R WASTING HER TWO TOP FRONT TEETH, BECAUSE HER BOTTOM JAW IS ALITTLE MORE OUT THAN THE TOP. THEY SAID IF THAT BOTHER ME THEY COULD DO FILL-INS BUT EVENTUALLY HER BOTTOM TEETH WOULD WASTE THOSE AS WELL. AN ORTHO SAW HER AND SAID THAT BRACES WOULD NOT HELP, BECAUSE AS SHE GROWS HER BOTTOM JAW IS STILL GONNA B FURTHER OUT THAN HER TOP ONE. HE RECOMENDED THE FACE BRACE WICH SHE WOULD USE @ AGE OF 6 FOR AT LEAST 14 HRS. A DAY FOR 18 MONTHS. THAT SHOULD HELP HER TOP JAW TO MOVE FOWARD. ANOTHER IS SHE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE SURGERY @ AGE 11 WERE THEY WOULD HAVE TO CUT HER OPEN TO REMOVE HER BOTTOM JAW AND CUT IN TO WHERE HER BOTTOM IS SHORTER THAN HER TOP JAW. I DON'T WANT MY DD TO GO THROUGH NONE OF THAT.

COOKY81

Asked by COOKY81 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had the jaw reconstruction done but age 11 is too young. Your body is still growing and if she did it then, she faces the possibility of needing to redo it later. I had a severe underbite and it was also not aligned properly. So they cut my jaw into sections and inserted coral as "fake bone" to fill in the gaps. I have 21 screws and 2 metal plates in my upper and lower jaw. It isn't the end of the world if she needs this done. However, I think you need to take her to an oral surgeon for another opinion. They will tell you whether or not it's severe enough for surgery. At 4 years old, they probably don't want to talk to you about it yet and an orthodontist shouldn't either. Give a second, maybe even third opinion. I have been there so feel free to email me, I can answer your questions if you would like.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I dont know what you mean by her two bottom teeth are wasting her two top front teeth. What do you mean by wasting??? What would fill-ins do? what are fill-ins?

If her bottom jaw bone is actually out farther than her top jaw, the only thing i have ever heard that helps with that is surgery or some sort of brace (i think what you were talking about??not sure). It would be a lot for her to go through no matter what.

I guess I dont really have any good ideas. Just try talking to different people and getting as much information as you can. I would do whatever I felt was best for my DD. I don't know how bad everything really is so its hard to say.

Good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would get many opinions, however, the brace early if it would work would be a better deal. She won't remember really and it won't interfere with school.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• well I think its her baby teeth and really they will fall out later on, and her body hasn't stopped growing yet, so i would just leave it alone and see how she does when she gets older cause you never know how will happen and she might out grow this problem. i am just giving you thought so you really don't waste your money cause if you do this now and they fall out and grow back the same or different you just wasted thousands of dollars on something that you could of waitted intil she was done growing and her baby teeth gone..
    Anonymous

• It's a prob with her jaw, not her teeth. She will not outgrow it. My son's prob was only with teeth. She should get a second opinion and maybe try the brace face.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I still have the the jaw issue cause I never got it done. Mom could not afford it. My church when I was in High School offered to pay, but I did not want to go through all that myself. If you can get it done I recommend it.
    Bigmama4Jesus

Answer by Bigmama4Jesus at 10:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2009