Do I have the only 27 month old that is only saying a few words?

I dont mean to be rude but I dont need to know when everyones elses child started talking at an early age cause thats not going to help me.I would like to hear from other moms that have children who talked late like mine. All he can say is shoes, juice, ball and truck.He strugles saying the "LL" in "ball" and then has trouble saying the "T" in "truck", he just says ruck.We have a personal speech therapist that comes in every other week but shes been coming for 8 months and its not helping.Not to mention she doesnt even work one on one with him, she just watches him and talks to him while hes playing.Do I need to find someone else or will he start talking more when hes ready. His hearing is fine, he gets what ever we ask him to, he can point at every object that we ask him to and he imatates words, like cow he says moo and truck he goes brummbrumm and dog ruffruff.So hes very very smart but just not talking much yet.Any advice?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had problems with his speech and at about 2 1/2 we were lucky enough to get him into a preschool at one of the Universities near us. It was great because it dealt with the behavioral problems that can come with hard of hearing or non speaking kids. Insurance sucks when it comes to Speech and Language therapy.
    We were told if you have a 2 year old that is not saying many single words clearly there may be a problem, get it checked out. By 27 months I'd be worried. Most children this age can string together words into full sentences. My son is in college now and he is still hard to understand when we talk to him on the phone sometimes because he still leaves the last sound off of some words if he is talking fast. I'd be safe and get a speech pathologists opinion. Better safe than sorry.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• First off, no, you do not have the only child that age that isn't saying much. I agree with itsmesteph11 that you should get him seen by a speech pathologist. My middle son was the same way. He didn't start saying more than a few words until just a few months ago. He is 3.5 now. The speech pathologist said that he was fine, just slow to talk. Your son may be the same, but its better to get him checked out and know for sure. In the last 4 months my son just all of a sudden decided to talk adn when he did, he started off with full sentences.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 2:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You need to find someone else and she/he needs to come in more often.

My youngest didn't say his first word until he was 23 months and had been in speech for a month. Both of my younger two are in speech. They receive services 2 times a week for 1/2 hour each time, and they have come a LONG way.

Contact Early Intervention if you haven't already gone that route. It doesn't cost anything here. I don't pay anything for my boys' services. They do send it in to the insurance company, but they accept whatever they are sent as payment, we are never charged.

He should be saying more, he should have slightly better articulation and he should (in my opinion) have someone who is actually working with him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• my son is 25months old and has the vocabuary of a 1yr old..says only 25 words if im lucky...i put him in daycare once a week and it seems to help having him around other speaking kids..i dont like speech therapist because they really dont focus on how to get htem to speak right just repittion....my advice is try daycare twice a week and play groups get him out and about around other kids that are talking he should pick it up soon ...good luck hunn
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My mom was the same way at that age my grandma had her in speech classes til she was like 4 and nobody knew what was wrong but eventually they found out that she swallowed backwards so um they told her to put a raisen behind her top front teeth and take a drink of water without swallowing the raisen and it actually it helped her..
    Anonymous

• I had a friend with a son who only said tons of animal noises (moo, meow, ruff, etc) and NOTHING else at 24 months. I was very worried and almost referred her to "early intervention" for a special education evaluation but decided to keep my mouth shut. By 30 months he was talking a LOT more and now is in the 7th grade and totally normal. That said, I think most 18-month olds can point to objects and imitate sounds so I wouldn't fool yourself into thinking everything is fine just because he can point to simple things (common objects like house, cat, dog, tree, mouse, squirrel, airplane, different foods he eats, different people he knows) maybe things are going to work out fine but the best thing you can do for him is get an evaluation and see where things stand. Call you school district and ask for an evaluation for early intervention or ask your doctor.
    Anonymous

• my son is 16 months and says only mama but barely ever
    greatmomof2boys

Answer by greatmomof2boys at 11:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009