what do you do when you get a cold sore?

I get like 3 of them a year and its really had on my self esteem, and im going on a trip this weekend to see all my family. i take all the vitamins that are recomended for cold sores but nothing ever seems to work. Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Health

• ask your dr for a prescription for valtrex. it is a herpes simplex med but cold sores are the same type of virus.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My friend is on an oral medication kinda like any other herpes she takes it when she feels a cold sore coming on try to talk to your dr about that... the prescription is only 15 dollars.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Carmex usually works for me.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 1:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• An over the counter ointment that helps is blistex. But my doctor prescribed an ointment that I also use at the first tingling.

Answer by Bmat at 1:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Not all vitamins are created equal. Some are not that good. Maybe your immune system is deficient, Message me if you want more info as to what I use to boost my immmune system.  You might try Tea Tree Oil.  I use that on mouth ulcers. 

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 1:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My doc won't prescribe valtrex except for extreme genital herpes, but I do have a prescription for acyclovir. I take 3 a day for 5 days. By the first day, it has already started to crust.. By the time the prescription is done, it's pretty much healed. Abreva also works pretty good.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Use Abreva especially on the first sign.

Just keep washing with soap and water until it drys up and keep applying this ointment.

I remember when I was a teenager I hated those things I would get a piece of tissue and a needle and try to pop the blister but at the same time did not let the fluid touch any other part of my lip and it flatten out and dried up but I don't do that anymore I guess cause I am married now and he doesn't care...lol GL and have fun on your trip.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• now that you mention it, every time I go out to visit my family, I get an uber cold sore..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I know this is weird but I felt one coming in and the only thing I had was Clean and Clear clear gel and I put that on it and it was gone.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• it sucks, i know my husband loves me no matter what, but there are pictures involved, i just did the ice thing for an hour and it seem to stop its so tiny its a little white dot the size of a tip of a pen and the tingling is going away and i took a bunch of lysine and i just came back from the store trying to find cayenne buti have releev too, abreeva never seemed to work for me or i would get the cold sore while i was sleeping so i couldnt feel the tingling in time. i cant handle getting them anymore, but it makes me feel better knowing im not the only one who gets these pain in the ass things
    Anonymous