Four year old son wetting bed and asking to go to bed?

My son has recently been bedwetting after about six months of dry nights. Lately it's been at least once a week, if not more. Also, last night he asked to go to bed at 7:30 and his bedtime is 8:00... he usually complains about going to bed. Then at 1:00 today he told me that he's tired and doesn't want to wait until 2:00 for his daily nap.

He's with me almost all the time. He does go to school for a couple of hours two days a week, but I'm at the school as the helper on a regular basis, so I'm not concerned about anything happening at school--I'm also in very excellent communication with his teacher, and he's never complained in any way of anything bad happening.

I'm a big worrier, but I don't project this image to my kids. I just wonder what could be going on, and if the sleepiness and bedwetting might be related? Any thoughts?

Amy.Alaya

Asked by Amy.Alaya at 1:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes it could be a growth spurt. Or mabey a urinary tract infection? 4 year olds are so funny. They are learning, growing and understanding more and more everyday. The littlest things can set them off kilter. If this continues I would def. make an appt and get a quick urine test done just to rule that out. Good Luck.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It may be something as simple as a growth spurt coming on -- you know they get extra tired and sleep heavier. Or maybe he's coming down with something. You already feel you can rule out anythign happened so I'd look at the whole picture -- has he been eating more recently, drinking more etc. etc.
    It's hard to figure out
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Ok so don't freak out at my answer. It's my own personal experience. My now 10 yo daughter went through this. We didn't think a whole lot of it at the time, but three days after her 5th birthday she started having grand mall seizures. Some of the indicators, are what you have described. I would watch to see if he is having staring episodes where it seams like he is daydreaming during the day. THe thing is, our bed wetting ended up with daughter having seizures in the night and us not knowing it. Why at night? Because fatigue is one of the things that will cause an epileptic to have a seizure. As for wet bed, if it is seizure activity, it is normal for them to lose control of thier functions.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Haha "Don't freak out, it might be epilepsy", like how do I not freak out about that? I appreciate the answers so far... I'm hoping that it's just a weird thing, but if it keeps up for another week or so I'll probably schedule an appointment with his pediatrician...
    Amy.Alaya

Answer by Amy.Alaya at 3:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2009