bed wet!

Ok so my stepson is here to visit and he has wet the bed 4 times 2 by mistake and 2 he was fully awake and said "I didnt want to get up." when i asked his mother what she does she said "i have him go watch tv and i clean it up" so there is no punishment or talk about why he does this. when i asked him what does his mother say when he does this he says " mommy doesnt care when i pee on myself" i took his toys out of his room and told him to sit and think about it he thinks this is all a game, laughs and finds something to play around with in his room, like his clothes or now clean sheets. His mother says he doesnt wet the bed much, but when he does that its no problem what other ways can i explain to him it is not ok to wet the bed and not tell anyone untill we smell it.

LisaZayas

Asked by LisaZayas at 1:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is your ss used to spending this kind of time at your house? Could this be his nerves and he is making a joke out of it? How old is your stepson? Unless there is something more going on, no one like to be in a wet bed. Not even a kid. Put a plastic sheet on his bed and dont make a big deal of it. If he is doing this for attention, then he will be disappointed when you dont react.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• He could be scared to get out of bed being in a new place. Make sure you cut off his fluid intake a couple of hours before bedtime. Be sure he uses the toilet right before bed. Include him in cleaning up the mess. I don't know his age so if he's able make him take the sheets off the bed and take them to the washer. If he is too young, you could take the sheets off, hand them to him and have him place them in the washer. I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it or it will show him he can continue and really get to ya, cause a reaction from you. I have learned from my stepkid good or bad reaction doesn't matter, they just like the attention.
    Anonymous

• My 6 yo son is a bed-wetter. He goes in cycles. he'll have dry nights for 3 weeks, sometimes more, and then have 2 to 5 wet nights in a row.
    There definitey shouldn't be any punishment.
    But no puhishment doesn't mean no responsibility. Whenever he wets his bed he's responsible for taking off his wet sheets and wet clothes and bringing them to the laundry room. I put the sheets on because he's not old enough to do it himself easily, but he's responsible for putting his stuffed animals and pillows back on the bed.

You can only enforce what happens in your house. If you start making him even slightly responsible for himself, he won't purposefully wet his bed because he'll know it means more work for him. The bigest thing is to make sure you do it without any anger, frustration or stress in your voice, face, or body. It has to be just the logical step after wetting a bed.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 3:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I dont think thats the issue here.. He is doing it for att at your house i think, also he wants to see how far he can push ya.. I wouldnt let him sleep on the bed if i were you tell him he has to sleep on an airmat on the floor till he is a big boy and can sleep without wetting the bed.. Also make him clean it up, an dont give him anything to drink after 6:00pm, make him go to the potty right before he gos to bed.. An of course she saying that he doesnt do it much there, like shes going to tell ya she cant handle him, to your face..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Make it clear that different homes have different rules.
    And since he is doing it delibertly, make him responsible for changing the sheets, getting them into the washer and dryer, folding them, and putting them away. All with supervision of course.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Make him clean up after himself if he is only doing it because of laziness. He'll get sick of it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009