Do REAL contractions ALWAYS include tightening of the belly?

or can you have a REAL contraction and it just feels like menstrual cramps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yep, mine only felt like menstrual cramps
    Anonymous

• ok so a REAL not a practice contraction can feel just like menstrual cramps?
    Anonymous

• ok, first it depends how far along you are. and second t depends on your pain tolerance and third if you are feeling that and you are less than id say 36 weeks...go to the er! i had those at 27weeks and it turned out i was dialating and they had to put me on mag sulfate and a pill to stop contractions for the rest of m pregnancy. hope i helped. good luck.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Your body will go though braxton hicks more frequently the further you get along in your pregnancy. Its like practice runs prepairing you for labor. You may even go into a sort of labor that can last for 6 hours at most but then it will stop. I know when its your first baby, its hard to tell whats the real deal and not another "practice run," but you will know. It feels like very intense period cramps. You will know its real because you can barely handle the pain. I can take a lot of pain but labor is something else. Your water will not always break first. When it does, it feels like a bag of water just inside you fills up and then pop. It didn't hurt when it popped, but once it does, the contractions get a lot more intense. Scream, hit the bed, use cold packs on yoru vagina and back. Have hubby rub it really hard...anything. But hey, you're still a great mommy if you get drugs to help.
    Sillymommy122

Answer by Sillymommy122 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well technically a contraction IS a tightening - of the uterus. So yes, labor contractions always have tightening of the belly. Early in my labor my contractions felt like period/poop cramps and they just got more intense as the day progressed. I had probably a good 8 hours or so of easy labor then they got a little harder to get through. Another 8 or 9 hours of hard labor and transitional labor before my son was born. The contractions always had the poop cramp feeling to me, it was just the severity that changed. I had my son without pain medication (home birth) so I know that it comes down mostly to will power (drug free birth I mean). You can't allow the words "I can't" into your vocabulary when in labor. As soon as I mumbled that my contractions got 1000x worse. As soon as I said "I AM doing this" I felt the dynamic shift and things got much easier. Never underestimate the power of the mind.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think that it honestly depends on you. My belly stayed tight the entire pregnancy. I was having true contractions and I felt like mini menstrual cramps. I had been told so many times by nurses that I "would know" when it was the real thing that when I started to feel the mini cramps I had no idea what was going on. Trust you body... you will know when it's a contraction. Trust yourself.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 2:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The difference between real contractions and BH is cervical changes. Real contractions will cause the cervix to dilate and thin out, BH will not. They both can hurt or just be uncomfortable, though real ones tend to become very painful as you progress.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 3:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2009