Can cysts keep you from getting pregnant?

Finally got an answer to my cramping and it's due to cysts. I'm not pleased about it but at least it's an answer. The nurse practitioner said my cycle had started when she did the exam and I tried to explain to her that the "spotting" I'm experiencing is slight in comparison to my normal cycle. Nevertheless, she insisted to count yesterday as day 1. Today...still very little flow. Unlike me.

I had ovarian cysts from high school through college, it then worsened to cervical cancer. I am concerned, even though my pap came back clear for cancer, that the cysts may be starting all over again and the cancer may come back.

The nurse said that the cysts won't keep me from getting pregnant. (I had cysts over 10 years ago and they stayed for a long time). She seemed very upbeat but unwilling to listen to what's gone on with me. I don't know if that's because they were eager to get the next woman in the room.

Words of wisdom?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I've heard both, and have found research to back both sides. It seems to be one of those situations where they don't *really* know, it just depends on the research they chose to believe. I tend to believe they can. That the cyst can interfere with the ovary properly releasing a healthy egg and throw the whole cycle off. As delicate as the timing of the whole process is, it just seems to make the most sense.

That may be because of my experience, though. Four losses. Found cysts. Had them removed. Healthy pregnancy. Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence, but it does color our perspective.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well I'm not that smart and don't really know anything about this but I have had cysts on my ovaries since I was 15, well that's when they found them, and was always told it would be harder for me to get pregnant, my SIL, same situation. Well, we both get pregnant pretty easily I think.
    Anonymous

• If it turns into polycystic ovaries it can hinder pregnancy. Sometimes they rupture on their own then you can get pregnant.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Rupture...please rupture. Lol. I am tired of feeling the constant tinge in pain and really getting nowhere. The nurse wasn't ruling out that I may be pregnant now given DH and I played alot last week and the urine test won't pick it up since it's too early.

Baby dust to me please....
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i found out i had a ruptured cyst and the next month i was pregnant. so i dont think it affects that. i had a ruptured cyst and i also have hpv, not the gross wart strain though, just the kind that could uhh possibly give you cancer :(
    Anonymous

• Oh...just to add I had dermoid cysts which are a solid mass. Not the fluid filled kind that rupture.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009