Question when changing to convertible carseat

My son is 20lbs and 5 months old. Since his carseat only holds to 22lbs, I had to get a new one. Since I will no longer have the carseat I can bring in to the grocery store, doctor's office, etc...what do I do with my son? He cannot walk yet, but I don't think it wise to bring in strollers into doctor's offices. I have the floppy seat for the grocery carts, but this means he can no longer sleep while I shop. What do other mothers do?

RockyMax26

Asked by RockyMax26 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Use pillows to recline a toddler car seat turn it around if you can? I had this prob too get those neck pillows for support. There is no perfect answer. Stroller would be fine in Docs office just make it reclining with good turning wheels. You can hurt your back carrying a baby anyway in a car seat.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My little guy was out of his infant around 5 1/2 months and it's not too difficult. I always take my stroller into the dr. office with me. I have a 22 month old and a 9 month old so it's a must. It's an evenflo stroller that is a little bigger than an umbrella stroller but not a full size stroller. It is compact and does not take up too much room in the office. When going shopping I right after he's been fed, changed, and taken a nap so I know he will be happy. I attach toys to the seat cover and he plays while I shop. If he is not sitting up very well you can put blankets on either side of him to keep him sititng up or you can use a shopping cart with the infant seat attached. You can still put the cart cover over that so he is not touching the seat. This way you can go while he sleeps. You will have to find what works best for you. It is not impossible though! PM if you need any more suggestions.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 1:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Just because you can't use the carrier as a carseat, doesn't mean you can't still use it for the doctor's office, for shopping or in restaurants! The limit is for the safety of being used in a car.

Use the carrier, just not in the car.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Get a sling or frontpack. You'd be amazed at how quickly you learn how to use them! They seem daunting at first but you get the hang of them and they're a breeze to use. My DD would sleep in the frontpack when we'd go shopping. We switched to a convertible around then too.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Sling, shopping cart, at the doc office, let him sit and play.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009