My one and only interview was canceled.............

Many people here know my situation-I am going to be an RN and no one is hiring new grads. I have sent out over 30 applications/resumes/letters of interest. I got all no's-except one. My interview was scheduled for next week.

The HR rep. called today and told me that they aren't hiring in the "forseeable future" and that she didn't want to waste my time. She said that its because of the economy (which I knew). And, thats it..........40,000 dollars later.........looking at no job. I have spent hours this morning looking across this country for new grad RN jobs and nothing......

Bummer.....

JennRN09

Asked by JennRN09 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• look in your newspaper.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I feel for you. Just keep your chin up. I remember seeing some postings for RNs to answer triage calls from home. My dr's office uses a similar service where I talk to a triage nurse before being seen when my child is sick. Maybe this is an option. I have been job hunting for 10 months. You just have to keep going. Is there a temp agency in your area that places people in the medical field?
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• There is nothing in the papers......I am going to look into the temp agencies. My only fear is that I have no nursing experience so I don't know how well I'd be being pulled from unit to unit. Then again, it might be really good experience. I will look.........
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Maybe you can look into home care or something like that. I really don't know if it's good pay though.
    Anonymous

• There are over 5000 jobs listing on Monster job for RNs. I would imagine some of them would be willing to hire a new grad. Keep looking you will find something. There are nurse shortages where I live in Iowa. I would keep looking and be open to relocating.
    Anonymous

• There are over 5000 jobs listing on Monster job for RNs

Yeah for Maxim home health and other agencies. I will consider working in home health-I have already talked to a rep about it....but I worry about being that independent right out the door. My instructors have warned against it.

I did find a nursing home that sounded optimistic.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh my goodness!!! I just got a call back........
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh, i am glad you got a callback. hope it goes well. IT is a shame the way our health systme is that they aren't hiring. To me they are in dire need . Hope you find something
    Anonymous

• Stormont-Vail Hospital, Topeka, KS.....always seems to be hiring....look on their website, also St. Francis Hospital hires as well another Topeka, KS Hospital..... Check it out...... I bet you can get a Great RN Job...... Stormont lists for all the private practice doctor's as well, all under Cotton Oneil Clinics.... I bet you'll score an awesome job, and the cost of living in this area is cheap... and a peaceful place.... --- Let me know.
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Try Jobsamerica.com I think it is , I know I saw some RN positions near me if you want to check it out. I feel for ya, my hubby took a $6 an hour pay cut a few weeks ago and now they are laying him off, we have 5 kids, 2 are twins in diapers.
    CosmicChaos

Answer by CosmicChaos at 3:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009