If you found a dog wandering around looking lost.. would go up to it and see if it tags or try to find where it belonged?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I would.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If it had tags I would take it home and if not, FINDERS KEEPERS in this house. I would keep it for a week and see if anyone posted a missing add on craigslist or anything and then either keep it or take it to the aspca and have it checked for a chip.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• yah, I always look for tags and if there are none, I will watch and see if the dog stays around the neighborhood, and if noone comes and gets him sometimes ill take them up to the nearest vet to see if he has a chip
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 1:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Assuming it wasn't foaming at the mouth or acting aggressive I would(and have several times) cautiously approach and help it.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 1:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• No, but, I would call and have him picked up. I would hate for him to wander right in the middle of a busy street or if he's hostile, I would hate for him to hurt anyone...especially children.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 1:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Um.... yeah. I do it all the time. Pretty much everyone in town knows that I am the stray magnet and will call me if they find a dog. If it has tags, I call the owner and keep the dog at my house (I have extra crates and a fenced in yard for just such occasions) and if there are no tags, I call animal control to let them know I have found the dog, give descriptions, and then I load the dog up and take it to a local clinic to have it scanned for a microchip. I put up ads in town, and online, and go above and beyond what the average person would do. That is just who I am. And I hope and pray that if (and that is a BIG "IF" because I am an ultra diligent and responsible pet guardian and have NEVER lost a pet) my dog ever went missing that karma would come back in a good way and someone would also do the same for my dog so he got home safely.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have had this happen where my dogs have gotten out an people have helped them so yes,I return the favors. I usually check for tags, call the owners, take the dog home until the owner can be reached or come to get the dog, make sure it is not injured, has food and water, etc. I have even taken one Great Dane to the vet to see if it was chipped. I will call the animal shelter to see if anyone has called in looking for their dog and would end up keeping it if I could but my county has a three dog limit per household and I'm at my quota. I would do everything I could to reunite that pet with its owner. I have two passions... kids and animals.
    Anonymous

• No because I'm afraid of strange dogs! But I will call animal control so they can find out if it belongs to anyone.
    Anonymous

• I would never approach a strange dog. That's just me though. My husband on the other hand would, and has found dogs and looks for the owner.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would try to see if its friendly enough to approach it. I have had that situation, and couldnt put it in my car cause I had my kids, and they are afraid of strange dogs. but I have had one walk right up to me in our front yard. I brought him to the side yard so he wouldnt run off, and checked his collar (Luckly it had tags on it with the owners name and number) called the number, and they came and picked up their pretty boy. I even got 10 bucks, but I wasnt even looking for a reward, I was just worried that he would be run over or stolen if he was loose from his yard. I have never lost a pet, but I know I would be heartbroken. So I am always diligent in checking out my local Craigslist, and keeping my eye out for wandering dogs.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2009