If a person came up and asked you for some money to buy food would you give them the money, offer to buy them food, or just ignore them

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I rarely hand homeless/panhandlers cash. I have been known to pick up a meal at a fast food place for them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Generally, if someone asks for money, I usually say "Sorry, I don't have any cash." I rarely carry cash, so it's the truth. I don't do "begging" There are churches and foodbanks all over. It's one thing to share with someone who is unfortunate, it's another thing to beg every person that walks by for money.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would tell them to get a job so they can buy food or get food stamps. I work for my money and so does my husband and if they did the same then it wouldn't be an issue.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I pick them up a few Double Cheeseburgers.lol
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 2:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I know this sounds terrible, but it depends on how they look. USUALLY you can tell by looking at soemone if they are strung out on drugs or going throught withdrawels. If they look like that I will offer to buy them some food. If they look like someone who is honest and just needs a hand up then I will give them cash, if I have it. I always try to give SOMETHING even if it's just a dollar or a bag of chips.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would offer to buy them food. Of course, I once saw a man in a restaurant eating and he looked very disheveled and my son and I walked up to him and gave him $5 and said he looked like he could use it. He grabbed ity and said nothing and continued to eat. So, money or food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I've had to beg for food before. When I was like 7 or 8. My dad was on drugs really bad and we rarely had even crumbs in the cabinet. So I walked to the gas station and begged for food or money for my brother and I. I was young, but I can remember being embarrassed even then. I can't turn anyone away, no matter the reason.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• When I see homeless people holding a sign that says "hungry" I buy them food.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If I have some cash or change left I'd give it to them.

One day we went out of town and I noticed this homeless man sleeping on the side in front of a building I felt so sorry for him. We had just had breakfast at a fast food place and had two taquitos left I wanted so bad to give it to him but my dh did not want to stop. So I just saved them for my dogs on the way home. But yes if I had it I would share. Remember God is always watching you he blesses you when you bless others.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Pretty much every time I see a homeless person asking for money for food, as long as it is safe to do so (like I am on a busy street with lots of people around and my car doors are locked) I give them at least 4 or 5 dollars. I don't know what they are going to spend it on, but if they are low enough to be begging on a street corner, the least I can do is show them some compassion by giving them what is essentially pocket change to me... Regardless of if they are really going to use it for food, or for a bottle of liquor to drown their sorrows. God forbid if I were ever in that situation, I would pray someone would show me a tiny bit of mercy.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009