Experiences at daycares?

I have a four month old and in a few months I will be ready to get back to work.Just wanted to know what to look for in a daycare.
My biggest problem might be how they will deal with a baby who doesnt know how to sleep on his own, will the daycare rock the baby , or let him cry it out? Any advice?

elizabee

Asked by elizabee at 2:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just put my son in 4 weeks ago - but he was 16 months old - he did not know how to sleep however he learned from watching others -I bring him to an actual center, not a licensed home daycare but I know they rock and hold the infants that don't sleep well.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I worked in a daycare and they usually will rock and soothe the child and get them used to self soothing as your child is not the only child in the room. They try to keep them on the parents schedule so yes your child will end up crying but they will comfort and soothe to a point. They will probably ask you to start working on self soothing as well. So before you start daycare searching I would start on self soothing methods and getting your baby used to sleep on its own. Just a thought. As for a daycare, you want to look at the cleanliness, the appearance of the staff, the behavior of the other children. Talk to other parents, look for security both at the doors and in the rooms. Ask a million questions, check out the number of staff per child ratio. You can look up the laws for child to teacher and I believe its 8 toddlers to 1 person and 6 infants to 1 person and 12 school age. Good luck
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My twins started daycare at 4 months, and the daycare staff was terrific. They rocked the babies when they need rocking; the owner and the secretary would come into the nursery and take a baby if more babies needing rocking than the nursery staff could handle. They also used other techniques such as patting the babies backs to help them fall asleep.

When I was looking for a daycare center, I visted several in my area. I visited with the owner or director at each center and observed the staff that would be my babies' primary caregivers at the center. I looked at basic things like cleanliness, but that was pretty standard at all of the centers I toured. What became the deciding factor for me was the feeling I got from the people at the center. I ended up choosing one that looks less fancy than some because I felt good about the people I met there; it turned out to be really good choice for my family. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My dd started at 8 weeks. They were actaully shocked b/c she slept so well and so much! :) Anyhow, look for a day care that has age appropriate toys, clean diaper area and kitchen. make sure they have all parents label bottle and clothing etc. I perfer when they have separate area for babies that can walk/crawl and those that can't. Watch the ratios, too. Make sure the teachers are willing to answer questions and offer a daily report. The center itself should have a sign in and out policy and require ID for anyone they don't know to pick up the child. They should also require it in writing who is allowed to pick up the child. They should have some one up front at all times to monitor who comes in and who leaves.

My day care would rock, or swing or put in crib whatever worked best for the child. Understand, they can't hold all kids all the time so your child will cry. They won't let it get out of hand, cont..
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• ..cont but they won't let another child be hungry b/c yours won't sleep. My teachers were really good with the kids. THe knew which ones went to sleep which way and learned their schedules fast. I'm sure your treachers will be the same.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I worked at a daycare for 4 years, and we rocked them to sleep when they were really small or first starting and slowly taught them to to lay down at nap time. We were only allowed 4 babies per teacher. We would hold while feeding bottles and bounce in bouncers and rock in swings. What ever it took to keep them happy. I even played some baby einstien and read to my babies and did sign language and brain gym with them. Also look for one with cameras and one that will let you show up unannounced whenever you want.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009