Potty Training!

Destin will be 3 soon and he has yet to go number 2 in the big boy toilet also I can only get him to pee in it twice a day if im lucky ive tried consistency putting him on when I know he has to go the famous cheerious trick but he just wont do it unless he feels llike it I have even tried the cool alert pull ups any tips would help but I guess he is just not ready is it at least common for boys his age to not be potty trained yet?

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 2:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he knows how to pee and poop on the potty and just isn't doing it, take away the pull-ups. A few accidents in underwear may do the trick. I'm not a fan of pull-ups for this reason. There's no real consequence for doing their business in them, because they're just like diapers. Throw out all pull-ups and diapers, and don't go back. Put a potty close by and move him there if he starts to have an accident, reminding him that pee pee and poo go in the toilet, not in his underwear. He'll get it if you don't give him the option.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with EmilySusan. If he knows how to do it but just seems to be stubborn about doing it only when he wants to, switch him to undies during the day. Yes, you will have accidents. Have him clean them up - not as a punishment but as a matter-of-fact "you are old enough to clean up the messes you make" kind of way. He is old enough to mop up pee, scoop up poop. You can then follow up with chemical cleaners.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree: lose the pull ups. However, a child will only be trained when he's ready to train and it is not uncommon for boys to train later. My guys are 28 mos and one is closer to being ready to start than the other. This summer when the weather is warmer we're going to give it a go. I'm going right to big boy underpants because the uncomfortableness of having an accident should be a good motivator to use the potty. If they don't take to it right away, we'll take a break and try again a few weeks later, no pressure.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009