My son has a hard time going to the bathroom

Like ever since i switched him to just milk its really hard for him to go to the bathroom.. what should i do?

camerons_mom07

Asked by camerons_mom07 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to a pedi to get him on laxatives
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 2:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I switched my son to soy cause he wasn't sleeping -he always had the not pooping issue but I could hear his belly hurting. He started pooping and sleeping after the first night
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• sounds like a milk allergy
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• He's probably lactose intolerant, most humans are. I can't see your picture very well so I'm not sure what race you are but if you're of African or Asian descent at all the chances of him not being able to tolerate milk are very high.

Switch him to a non-dairy milk like soy or rice, just make sure it's fortified and give it a good shake before using. They're usually lower in fat so I add a splash of flax oil to my son's milk with breakfast which also adds some nice omegas.

Meanwhile, try giving him a small can of mandarin oranges as a snack, drain the juice off and maybe give them a quick rinse if they're packed in light syrup. I don't know what it is about those little segments of citrus but I've yet to meet a baby or toddler who won't deposit a lovely big parcel after eating those!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It may or may not be a milk allergy or lactose intolerance. I'd discuss it with the pedi.
    In the mean time, definitely give the mandarin oranges a try! They work like a charm in this house! Also, be sure he's not getting more than 24 oz of milk in a day. Give him water to drink in between meals, give him plenty of fruits and veggies if he'll eat them (stear clear of bananas and raw carrots) apples with the skin are good if he can eat them.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Firstly, check with your pediatrician if you should switch to soy etc. Make sure he is well hydrated with water. Lots of fruits and veggies. 

Mamabearisback

Answer by Mamabearisback at 3:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• give him a little bit of apple juice
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009