Voting in a Church?

when i went to vote today there were two women behind me. i overheard one of them say "i can't believe i have to come to a church just to vote. what happened to seperation of church & state?" most polling places in my area are churches (there are a TON here) & ive never thought anything of it.

what do you think? do you know anyone who has a problem w/ this?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 2:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm Agnostic, and I voted in a church. I saw it as a large building in which to fit all the equipment and people into. Nothing more.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm assuming they held it there because they needed a big enough hall to do it in, and no other place was available that day.
    Around here they cancel school so they can do it there.
    Which is better?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree more then likely that is why.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Were they afraid they'd burst into flames or something? It's just a building, for crying out loud. No one is gonna try to convert them or throw Holy water them. Geez.

Anonymous

• hmmm don't know.I have never been to a church where the preacher even spoke much of our presidents and such.Maybe touch on a few political issues but never a mock election or who one should vote for none of it and I am speaking of churches who DO NOT even recieve state or federal funding.I think there is a misconception amoung alot of people though who seem to think most churches are telling their congregation whom to vote for or not.Never happened with me ever.Although,I bet it is generally assumed by the preachers that if one consider themselves with Christians values/principles they'd be voting for the candidate with those same ones or very close.
    I know this is off the actual topic but just wanted to throw it out because I figure the post will prob go this route anyway lol
    Anonymous

• My sons school was a voting precint and that really bothered me. All the strange people there all day voting. Three men were wandering around the school at one point that day and were escorted out by police. Two were pedophiles who had a legal right to be in the school because they had the right to vote. I kept my son home that day since I knew they would have voting there and the fact there were 500 registered sex offenders in our very tiny community. I wished our voting booths had been in a church and away from the school.
    Anonymous

• In my town, sex offenders cannot go within so many yards of schools, even to vote. They must vote absentee.
    Anonymous

• They let them in my sons school. Some moron dropped the ball.
    Anonymous

• I have voted in a Catholic Eldercare building. So what? It's just somewhere big enough to handle it.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Aren't we thankful that a church would be willing to open their doors and pay the electric bill, the cleaning bill, use of the tables, etc. to vote? And holding the voting inside of a church has nothing to do with separation of church and state. What a crack up!! :)

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2009