Regular milk?

I was just wondering if it was absouletly nessesary to wait till a baby is 12 months old to stop formula. I dont understand why you have to wait that long to switch to regular milk but your allowed to give them ice cream? If it dosent make the baby sick why wouldn't it be okay to start them on regular milk early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I woudn't reccomend it.Regular milk does not supply all the nutrition your child requires.Have you looked into the formula aimed at older infants?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Dairy foods and ice cream are safe, regular milk isn't. [I can't remember the scientific explanation but there is one] My friend's a pediatrician and said that she's seen some very sick babies from starting milk too early. People will tell you they did and it was just fine... but iI wouldn't risk it. Their stomachs can't handle it, and it can even cause their stomach lining to bleed. Same friend said often they don't have symptoms right away but it can cause big problems. After that I decided not to risk it...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Why would you give an infant ice cream?!
    Milk does not have the nutrients your child needs, and it is difficult to digest.
    I have never heard it was ok to give a baby ice cream, that just sounds ridicules. All that sugar! I firmly believe babies and toddlers do not need, and should not have sugar.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 2:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Uh..It isn't ok to give ice cream. Why would you? and why risk it even if "everyone" did it and their kids were "fine"? Just stay with formula until after they are 1 then switch to whole milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Omg, i give my child ice cream , and such things as vanilla wafers. The doctor said it was fine as long as you don't give it everyday. It is not like we put a pint of ice cream in from of them and tell them to go to down. At most it is a few bites for desert of when we are eating it or as an afternoon snack. Myc hild is nine months and our pediatrician has had not problems with it. Each for there own. And to answer the posters question. They do say not to start cows milk until a year it is harder to digest. Which i can see because sometimes when i drink whole milk my stomach hurts. but i have always had problems. And my daughter had problems with formula and i could not breast feed beacuase of a medicine i have to take. So after trying different formulas, the pedi reommmended we try goats milk. So we did and have had amazinf results . At first it was diluted but now we are at whole milke. We just have to add vitamins.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't make the switch until they are getting their nutrition from food. Table food, not baby food. That's when our pediatrician had us switch and it was 9 month. They were eating a varied, balanced diet, we had no food allergies in the family, we had no food sensitivities in the family and the baby had none either and they had been eating other dairy foods with no trouble, so he said they didn't need all the extra calories from formula. (they were also above the 95th percentile...each)

But in all honesty, there is nothing "magical" about the day a baby turns 1 that makes it suddenly "okay" for them to have milk. But they need the nutrition from formula until they get it from food in my book.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• A baby's digestive system is not ready for cow's milk. Or ice cream, for that matter. It is not okay to give a baby ice cream.
    Anonymous

• It has little to do with the babies digestive system, yes it isn't easily digested but that isn't the main reason they say not to, if you wanted to give your 10 or 11 month old a little milk in a sippy cup that would be fine, like when they are having a meal. But milk does NOT have enough nutrients to meet the needs of the baby, even the best eater needs the added nutrients that formula or breasmilk provides. Also cheese, yogurt, and ice cream are a form of dairy, they are not exactly the same as milk, there are a lot of kids who can not drink milk, but are fine with other dairy products. I say why take a risk.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Anon 2:33 it is Not okay with you. You are not other peoples children doctors. If it is okay with the doctor there is no reason the parent can't give there child things. Just because you choose not too doesn't make it wrong for others. Get off your high horse
    Anonymous

• I have always wondered the same thing and I asked my pedi.. It's not that it's hard to digest every new thing you give your child will be hard to digest so thats crap because there digestive system isnt going to magically change when they turn 1.. The formula has A LOT of added stuff to it that milk doesnt.. Thats why. When they are a year old to 2 years old they need the extra fat that comes from whole milk.. Dairy products arent bad yeah ice cream is loaded with sugar so what I give my son a bite of most things I eat if it's soft enough for him.. He's had yogurt and cheese and did fine and loved them both.. I know some doctors who still say mix half and half before a year to get them used to it.. But they are old school doc's so I would talk to your pedi and ask when would be a good time to start and go from there.. Hope this helps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009