• In the Spotlight:

Trouble walking with shoes on...

Does anyones lo have trouble walking with shoes on? It is like a constant struggle for her. She has been walking since she is 9 months and is 15 months now but when I add shoes to the mix it is just the hardest thing in the world. We have been spending more and more days outside and she cannot walk barefoot but she seems to be on the ground more than she is up. Any suggestions? Common sense tell me especially with two other kids that she will get used to it but I hate to see her struggle so much.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 2:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try soft sole shoes. I forget the brand name. But really flexible ones might help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• if she hasn't really had shoes on then it will be hard for her until she gets the hang of it. my 15 month old has been walking since 10.5 months she walks well in tennis shoes and even dress shoes but I put her in sandles the other day and she kept falling in them because she isn't used to walking in sandles. Be lucky that she is even walking with them on my 4 year old was walking at 8.5 months running byt 10 onths but yet you put shoes on her she wouldn't even walk lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'd go to Stride Rite and get a good pair of beginner walking shoes. Worth the money. That plus practice, practice and she'll get the hang of it.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Do you have girly shoes on her? FlipFlops? or just plain ol tennisshoe??? Try some boots, it will help her ankles(support anyway)..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• First off thank you for the responses.
    The thing with soft sole shoes is that I am afraid that fer little feet are not going to be protected, I think that she would do better in them but we live in an area with a large amount of rocks. Maybe we should try them though. We are not doing any kind of dressy shoes or sandals just tennis shoes and they are stride rite. She has tried snow boots but that was a disaster even in the house on flat surfaces she did not even try when we went out in the snow. I think that twinclubmom is right maybe it is just practice but I feel like we have been practicing for months now and she is just not getting it. I think I will try to find some of the soft sole shoes and try those out and see how it goes.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• They make some that will protect, but, are extremely flexible. And she would be fine even on rocks. Still don't remember the name though. Maybe someone will.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009