• In the Spotlight:

What is the key to a good long marriage?

Sex...general liking of each other...being best friends...What do you think?

I have been married ten years...I will give my opinion a little later. :)

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 2:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• respect, maturity, and most of all commitment. after time, marriage is hard no matter what and everyone has felt like they wanna quit. so if you're committed, that will be the thing holding you together. if you are committed, you can understand that you have to try something to make it work. sometimes you don't even like each other so all those qualities like sense of humor, communication, sex...whatever, don't matter because you don't even want to be around each other. that is mature love. if you believe love comes naturally or easily, you have not been through bad (through good times and bad times) times.
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 4:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Communication, Sex, and Trust
    Anonymous

• prayer...............my mom gave me this book when i got married it was called the powers of a praying wife
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Partnering in kids, jobs in and out of the home I think lead to trust and then promote good sex.
    My inlaws and their friends are all in their seventies and eighties married over fifty years. The respect between them and chores, kids financies partnered completely have let them share good times and sorrowful. Sex is at least secondary to a good long marriage.
    Anonymous

• Communication and respect and trust. plain and simple
    Anonymous

• There's a lot of important parts of a marriage to make it last. I think the most important is listening to what the other's is or isn't saying.
    All of it's important really but other than listening, I think if you have NO trust, you have nothing. If you have NO respect, you have nothing... and as for love... there's lots of days I love my hubby but don't like him, but you can fall in and out of love with each other hundreds of times over the years but hopefully you'll remain friends thru all of them.
    I want someone I can depend on, someone I can trust, and someone who will talk to me, and who will listen to me.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Communication, trust, respect and friendship. This is what keeps me and my DH together. Sex is important but we've survived periods without it and still enjoyed each other just the same.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• All of the above - plus a good sense of humor.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree kathyartist2007! That is one thing...me and DH never take ourselves too seriously. We laugh ALOT!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You need to genuinly like each other. You need to be able to be with each other, doing things that the other enjoys. But also be alone. Communication, yes. Sex, of course. You have to respect each other, and sometimes there just has to be a 'thing' that I can't explain.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009