How do I deal with the possiblity of Atisum?

hello everyone my name is Sarah and about 2 months ago I had a doctor ask me if I thought my son my be atistic?, It really upset me I dont know what the symptems are for that or anything and they told me that they thought maybe because he hasnt started talking yet and he is 16 months old, and hosetly I am freaked out I cry everytime I think of it but yet he does point at things and sometimes say mama and he is just so smart he figures things out really fast in the past year we have had to replace our baby gate 5 times because he has figured out how to get them open or he just breaks them, but I dont know if anyone else had to go through this or if any of your children didnt start talking until later please lewt me know and help me deal with this

greatmomof2boys

Asked by greatmomof2boys at 2:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Go to Autismspeaks.org for more information on the subject. If you review the checklist they offer and are still concerned, insist that your pediatrician send him for an extensive evaluation.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• TEACH SIGN LANGUAGE!! saved our grandson, helped him communicate.
    I recommend is do a lot of reading about Atisum. You can help your son. It will be a lot of work but it will be worth it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• MY grandson has Autism. Very smart.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm going through it with two. We'll actually be finding out if they're being given diagnoses on Friday..or not.

Personally, I didn't really let it get to me until recently now that we're close to diagnoses. Just because he isn't speaking yet doesn't mean it's autism. There are so many signs and red flags. Not speaking or regressing in speaking is only one red flag. (okay, two LOL)

I agree...do some reading. Start having him evaluated. The longer you wait, the less help available to him if he does have a developmental delay or a disorder.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• GET A MOUNTED GATE
    crapppppy

Answer by crapppppy at 5:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• And a mounted gate helps her deal with the possibility of Autism how?
    Anonymous

• all of them were mounted I had to buy the most exspecive one i could find then that turned out to be the strongest
    greatmomof2boys

Answer by greatmomof2boys at 8:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Dealing with autism is unique. I should know I am the mother of three with autsim. My oldest is 13 and is in regular classes with an IEP under consultation basis only because he is on A-B honor roll. He was just like your son he is and was very smart. too smart for his little body. Unlike you though our children were between the ages of 9 and 11 when they were diagnosed. We knew that there was something going on other than ADHD but did not know what until we found the right doctor. All of our children are high functining in fact our daughter did not speak until she was 18 months old and our doctor at the time thought it was because the boys spoke for her. Treat him like you would a normal child do not give in to tantrums and outbursts. If you do then he will learn your tricks. I do admit that to a point I do negotiate with my children but I usually win with what I want and they do what I want them too.
    autisticmom3

Answer by autisticmom3 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• There are many books out ther too that can answer some questions with our three kids two have Aspergers syndrome and they are very hellpful. There is one you may consider I am not exactly sure of the name but it explains to siblings what is going on with your autistic child and answers questions they may have.
    autisticmom3

Answer by autisticmom3 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I had a daughter that was 3 before she was able to be understood. I knew by the time she was 1 that something was wrong, however I was not believed by others by age 2 her doctor finally sent us to speech therapy. It wasn't for another 2 years later we found out it was a deformity on her pallet that caused her speech problems. She has always been 2-4 grade levels ahead academically this just happened to be her area she needs to work on. What I'm saying is if 'you' feel there's something to look into then do so, if you aren't sure then wait till you are, but don't wait so long that it can harm your child maybe till age 2. In the mean time work with your child in various different ways and also gain information about autism and other disorders it could be as well as speech delay meant. Knowledge is power and what I'd do is learn all I could, try to eliminate the possibilities and work with my little one.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2009