Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Insurance question again, pls help me?!

Ok Im 21. Just got my learners permit last week. And I am buy a car on wednesday. I am having a BIG problem finding an insurance company. Can I not get my car insured under my own policy if I only have a learners permit? I called to get a quote from one company and she asked for my license number, so I gave her the license # that was on my learners permit. Well when she looked that up it came up as a state ID because the #s on the learners permit and my state ID are the same. Does this make sense to anyone? I am sooooooooooooooooo lost! BTW I am posting in Just for Fun because idk where else to post this lol.

Answer Question

Asked by tiffers32788 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 5 (78 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I do think it is possible that you need to have a license to insure the car! They can't insure and unlicensed driver....sort of makes sense! But I am not an expert.....did you ask the insurance company?

    Answer by BJoan at 3:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • I agree with BJoan- you have to be a licensed driver to be insured. is there anyone that can go on the policy with you, such as a parent or aunt/uncle?
    the way that they quote a rate that you need to pay for your insurance based on your driving record (tickets, accidents, etc.), and you won't have a driving record until you have a license.
    best of luck!

    Answer by cupidscurlyq at 4:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Could I have my fiance insure it under his name even though his car is insured under his parents insurance? It would be just my car, but he would insure it in his name and have me as the secondary driver even though I would be the one driving it. Would that work out?

    Answer by tiffers32788 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • No vehicle can be insured in your name, even as a secondary, while you have a learner's permit. The idea behind the learner's permit is that you are still learning, or practicing, driving in order to pass the driver's test. In fact, you cannot even drive a vehicle by yourself. There must be a licensed driver with you at all times - I forget the age requirement - either 18 or 21 years old. Check your manual. You also have to drive a certain amount of hours required by law before you take your driver's test.
    Furthermore, if the vehicle you wish to insure is not registered in your fiance's name, then he cannot legally insure it. Also, if you place his name on the registration, the insurance will be high if he is under a certain age and has any infractions on his license, even if they are not his fault.
    You will have to look into other alternatives until you earn your license. Sorry.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.