WHY DO SOME PEOPLE JUST SEEM TO FREEZE IN A CERTAIN ERA AND TIME???

I WILL BE 60 THIS YEAR AND THE WORLD AS I KNEW IT WHEN I WAS YOUNGER SEEMS TO HAVE CHANGED A LOT, BUT I HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH THE CHANGING TIMES, TECHNOLOGY, ETC. I FIND A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T DO THIS, MY HUBBY FOR EXAMPLE HATES CHANGE!!!NOT INTO TECHNOLOGY AT ALL, SORT OF BEING FORCED INTO IT BY CIRCUMSTANCES, AND HATES IT.

Asked by older at 2:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I dont find that happens in my generation as much as my parents generation. I'm 55 right now. It took years for us to convince my parents who are now both deceased to get a touch tone phone or new color tv. We never stop learning no matter how old we get...its just a matter of keeping an open mind to new things. I'm not big on change either or being forced to get something because the "older" model wont work anymore. Such as with digital tv....you either get it or you wont be able to watch tv anymore. That type of thing bothers me.
    robinc53_f

Answer by robinc53_f at 3:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• the term is technophobia I believe. and I am sort of one when it comes to cell phones.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• This is a big source of frustration for me! I'm the one that has to explain the tech stuff to my mom and grandma!My mom cannot figure out her cordless phone,and don't get me started on the DVD player.I dread the day the switch to blue-ray is a necessary one!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My mom and grandparents are that way for the most part.
    Mom has a computer but hates to use it and avoids it at all costs.
    She had a cellphone bought for her by one of my sisters LOL and still isnt sure how to run it and could care less if she ever does.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It isn't just technology....some people are open to change and live in the time they are actually in, and others just talk about the "good old days" . You know all those cranky old people....guess what? They were cranky young people! The guy who yells at the kids in the neighborhood for running across his lawn always did that..or wanted to! The connection to the original question is that some people are extremely resistant to change...and some are just overwhelmed by having to learn something new. I have a 50 year old friend who says she has learned everything she ever wants to learn--she is done learning. And I know people much older than that going for advanced degrees and learning new things all the time. I hope I never say I am finished learning!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• BJOAN, YOU ARE SO RIGHT, I HOPE I NEVER STOP LEARNING!!!I HOPE MY MIND KEEPS EXPANDING UNTIL I DIE!

Answer by older at 6:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Or some people refuse to listen to any musci except the oldies that they grew up with. Their choices and joys in life seem so limited. We should be open to all new experiences and finding unbounded joy! Great question.
    angelwings2000

Answer by angelwings2000 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I hate new technology.

But I love CHANGE.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009