Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about a stepparent adoption and what is involved?

My husband and I just got married and our four year old seems the most excited. Her birthmother just informed me that she is going to let me adopt her since she hasn't been around and has issues of her own. I have been in my daughters life since she was six months old and I'm so excited that this is happening. But I am also worried about the process and how to go about it. Her birthmother will sign the concent to terminate her rights but how is this done? How long is the process and what is involved in it?

Answer Question

Asked by myluvbugnme at 2:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Consult an attorney.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • they most likely will not let you adopt until you have been married for a year but check your state laws. It will only take about 3-4 months if she will sign consent. Also, know there will be a home study most likely. They will want to see you and her interacting together.

    Answer by ZaTa at 2:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Check with your state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Hire an attorney, write up the agreement, since all sides agree, the attorney wil recieve a court date, and all is over. This is what happened for us , in Missouri. An attorney will be able to take care of everything. C.J.

    Answer by ceejay1 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • In our state the married for a year thing is usually necessary but may be bipassed if you've been living together common law for a long time.

    Congratulations I could only dream of such a blessing.

    It's a lot easier since all sides agree.

    Answer by Praying at 11:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I am going through this now, with my husband adopting my oldest son, and we have afriend who did this in Ciolorado a few years ago. Here you have to be married at least one year, and you have to have an attorney in our county for the child, not for us, and the bio dad is having to come down here to testify in court that he is giving up his rights.

    In Colorado, they had anotorized paper from the bio dad stating that he was giving up his rights and they did it 3 months after they got married, without an attorney.

    So it differs bg time from state to state, and here (in Oklahoma) it even differs from county to county. GL sounds like you are going to be a great mom to her, as you have been the whole time I am sure. I would call a legal aid place or even just go to your law library in your local court houwe, to look up some info. Or maybe even get a free consult from an attorney as to what has to be done.

    Answer by AK_aries at 12:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

  • I just now read an above response about the home study and I remembered something. My husband is having to do a background check too, and he had been arrested in the past (3 years before I met him) for marijuana, and so our attorney said they may want to do a home stuidy because of this, but in most cases they dont do one because the child is already living in the home. But in Oklahioma DHS has to sign off on all adoptions step parent or not and they usually just dont bother with the homestudy for the step parent because they already been around you,not like if you were adopting from the state or an agency and they want to see if you are fit and a good match.

    Answer by AK_aries at 12:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.