Do you know food stamps are just over 1% of the total budget? (I used the most recent numbers available, but I doubt it will rise above 1.5%, at the highest maybe 1.8%.

And almost half of the people that receive them are working. So why all the complaining? I never saw so many people so mad about feeding the hungry.

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't understand the anger over this either. And yes, it is a very small portion of the budget- and one that I am happy to contribute to.
    Anonymous

• I have no complaints about people who need food stamps. I have a serious problem with people who abuse the system and make it a lifetime commitment to stay on welfare.

Anonymous

• To go further with this, lets just say 20% of those on food stamps are "abusing" them or fraudulent. (This is a gigantic over-estimate.) Now we are talking about .3% of the total budget. Is that really enough to get in such a tizzy about? Aren't you more concerned about where the big $$'s go?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The AIG bonuses were only 1/10 of 1% of the bailout money. Those little amounts add up. Don't sweat the small stuff doesn't apply here.
    Anonymous

Lol
    Anonymous

• Also, it is an infinitesimal amount of the GDP. I mean hundredths of a percent. Why the debate about this? Shouldn't we be debating fraudulent military contractors who rob the country and our service people? At least there we are talking about a good portion of the budget.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

_______________________________
    We are not talking about people who are financially OK taking even more money. We are talking about feeding hungry children (60% of people using food stamps are children.)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I knew it was a miniscule portion. I am more bothered by corporate welfare and war profiteering than PA, but that's just me.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Stacymomof2, I agree with some of what you are saying, but the tiny amounts you are talking about could be going somewhere important, too. Personally I think the whole dang system needs overhauled. The millions going to welfare cheaters could go to education just easily as the billions from fraudulent military contractors. KWIM?

Anonymous

• why does it even have to be 1-2% of the budget or gdp? why can't parents figure out how to stretch a dollar to feed their kids? it's like when you get your paycheck (or government allowance) each week/month, the first thing you're supposed to do is pay the mortgage, car payment, buy groceries....then clothes, and extras like cell phone, cable/satellite, internet, etc...

notice the list of priorities...children are to be taken care of first, grown ups with whatever is left over!
    Anonymous