This isn't right at all!! Why do some people get away with this?

My husbands BF injured himself last summer and cannt go back to work. For some reason he has been drawing unemployment for the last 7 months. He's been collecting all this money, sitting on his ass while his wife works and takes their kid to daycare.
My husband just got laid off and has to wait 3 weeks to get his first check. In the meantime we are living off his last paycheck, can't afford even an easter basket! yet this friend of his is living just fine. I'm not going to report the guy because he will get caught in his own time, Karma is a bitch but in the meantime my husband can't collect a dime for 3 weeks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• hey- my spouse to has just been on unemployment and actually unemployment screwed him over and took it away because he missed 1 week of claming and wrote a letter saying he was on vacation for a day so they told him hes disqualified because he was not available for work. total BS huh. So we have NO income except mine and thankfully at that. I do surveys online and I try to spend alot of time online to wrack up my pay to help us out. But we'll see how things go as far as employment. You should look to at www.MamaDoesIt.tk to learn about the survey taking for money.
    PajamaMama246

Answer by PajamaMama246 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm not seeing what he's done wrong. If he is unemployed, then he is collecting unemployment. What's wrong with that? We have a 2 week wait in this state.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I don't understand what the problem is. It takes 3 weeks before your first UE check arrives. I'm sure your friends did too, so whats the prob? B/c he can't go back to work, or b/c they aren't hurting for money, or at least appear to not have a prob?

Your friends may be living within their means no matter what. Maybe their mort. isn't so high, and the wifes income is not too shabby. Maybe they had money in savings. Maybe they don't have all the luxuries that aren't needed, I don't know.

Just don't waste your time being jealous. That hurts your friendship and creates stress for you and your hubby. :) Ask questions if you need here to get advise about bill paying, etc. as you go along thru this struggle, but don't waste time thinking about the friends situation. No two people have the same obligations nor income.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm confused. If he was injured enough that he cannot work he SHOULD be sitting on his butt. If he had a job as a garbage man and was still collecting disability (unemployment doesn't last for seven months) THAT would be fraud.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thats what Unemployments for, which has been extended to 15 months now that you can collect. Everyone has to wait at least 2 weeks before the 1st check.... You should just thank God unemployment, is a government blessing.... It sounds like you don't work, 'so thats the problem', the other people both draw income........ You need to get a job....... It takes two incomes.... 'There's nothing for you 'to turn in'.... he's within his rights..
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• right..it is fraud! Right now he trying to sue his workplace by saying the injury happend at work..the guy is a snake..his wife makes $300 a week...yet they blow money like it's growing from a tree.
    I'm just mad that we are decent law abiding people who have to wait....and are flat broke and have to wait 3 weeks.
    Anonymous

• What do you do? Do you work also so that you have some income coming in? Waiting on stuff like unemployement , medicaid, anything from the government if a bitch and taked time. It would seem that it shouldn't as you are talking about people and them eating and taking care of there family but it does. That other guy prob had to wait also. The only thing you can do is try to bring in imcome yourseld, or see if a family member can help you get by for a few weeks. I know how you feel, my husband and i both work full time and live paycheck to paycheck. IDK what we would do if one uf wasn't working. It is hard to recover from not getting 1 week of pay much less 3. But don't let the likes of your friends get you mad. They will get what is coming to them.
    Anonymous

• Unemployment is not for people with injuries...I believe you have to be ready, willing and able to work in order to collect unemployment, unless you are on a temporary lay off and will be called back. You sure he isnt collecting some sort of disability pay??
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My ex has been on UE for the past yr and a half! Yes it lasts that long! His child support is paid out of it every month and if it stops then the UE has ran out!
    Anonymous

• I'm sure this "snake" as you call him had to wait to. People don't just start collecting unemployment, workers comp or disability right away. I haven't worked at my job in 5 weeks and I still haven't gotten a penny of my short term disability.

But stop focusing on someone else and focus on your family. If you are your husband believe this guy to be a lazy bum then maybe he shouldn't be your husbands friend at all.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009