I'm so nervous!

I have met someone online (I just posted the question about success stories). We haven't physically met yet (we are on saturday), but we have been talking for a few weeks. I am seriously falling for this guy already he is so great to talk to! How do I act when we meet? I have never met anyone off the internet I am pretty nervous! I don't wanna screw this up he seems like a GREAT guy! Also some ideas for a date would be great, but keep in mind I live in a SMALL town that doesn't have much to do, but he is driving over an hour just to come meet me! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• I would be careful about people you meet online... He may seem great when you chat with him, but can turn out to be a real Ahole... or Crazy... you just never know... so be careful!!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Whatever you do, make sure you stay in public areas where you are around a lot of people. That is just for safety and it's very important. Being around him in person shouldn't change what you say or how you act. He is the same person you've been talking to. Be yourself. Always go with your gut. As far as things to do, that depends on what's in your area and what you both like. Maybe you could go to a coffee shop and sit and talk. Do something casual and something that's comfortable.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I met my guy online. He later told me that one of the great things was that I was exactly in person as I was online. I did not send him a photo, so he didn't know what I looked like, but he meant my conversation, my humor, my intellect, etc. There was no phoniness, and these years later, I'm still the same. Be real, be authentic. For safety sake, we met at a nuetral restaurant for lunch (DAYTIME), and had limited drinks, and drove our own vehicles to meet. Think safety always.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I met my now husband off of myspace and he is a great person and lover and dad to my kids and our soon to be child. Just be sure to meet in a public area for the first couple of times cause sometimes you do meet people online who lie about what they look like or the kind of person they are and you don't want to put yourself in a situation you can't get out of. GL
    Anonymous

• Also, have a back-up plan worked out in your head in case he isn't what you expected. Maybe plan to have a friend call you soon after you are meeting this guy and if you need a way out, use that as your way out. If you are happy with the guy who showed up, then just don't answer the phone. It's a little on the dishonest side but it gives you a way out without hurting his feelings in case he isn't what you expected.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I don't know what site you met this person on so what I'm about to tell you make not apply to you. I had a friend meet a "great" guy she met on the internet. It wasn't a dating site (those are safer I'm sure) She gushed and gushed about him at work and the day came for them to meet. She has no idea what happened exactly but she passed out and woke up naked. She says she had rape kit done and she wasn't raped but I wonder if she was honest. It really messed her up for awhile. I'm telling you this because I saw your other question and it was all postiive. I hope for the best with you but negative things do happen. Only meet him in a public place until you know for sure you can trust him. My friend didn't do that, she thought no big deal. I really do hope this is a positive thing for you!!!
    Anonymous

• Hmmmm, planning the date: Crowded restaurant (meet in public, not at your place), Call and give a friend his liscense plate number when he arrives (just in case) or better yet, have a friend arrange to be at the same place, but separate from you, keep mace in your purse and a small knife in your bra or shoe (seriously), Be very careful! I hope things work out for you but don't let your emotions cloud your judgments.

Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think it is great that you have found someone you enjoy talking to. Just be careful, not everyone is how they seem. That is the problem with online connections, people can say or pretend to be anything they want online. When you do finally meet him on Saturday, bring a friend, or make it somewhere public where you know someone. Don't just bring him to your home on the first meet.
    That being said, when he gets there, just try to ignore the butterflies in your stomach and be yourself. You have already connected, and he already likes you (he wouldn't be driving so far if he didn't) so you don't have to worry about that. Good luck!
    Familytyme

Answer by Familytyme at 3:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Just take someone with you or meet you there as well so you won't be so alone if you like the guy and he likes you then go with the flow but don't be so willing to give out too much info about yourself becareful and have fun. Be Patient don't rush things if you like him you don't want him to think you are fast let him chase you for a while. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Please, please meet in a public place. You can never be too careful. Remember he is still a stranger and you must protect yourself from harm if he turns out to be a wacko.
    Mamabearisback

Answer by Mamabearisback at 3:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2009