HOnestly, how long (years) does a child stay in a toddler bed?

My son has been co-sleeping with us and I'm trying to get him to sleep in his crib, right now I actually have one side of the crib off and it's bumped up to my side of the bed so when he falls asleep I slide him over.
I honestly think that he hates his crib mattress because of how hard and loud it is and I'm wondering if a regular twin bed would be better to get him to sleep in.
Thoughts anyone?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddler beds are useful up to maybe age 5. Most toddler frames support the same type of weight as a crib - 50 pounds or so.

Some kids have a hard time adjusting to a big bed (twin or larger), most don't. Generally, a twin bed is just fine and a toddler bed is not needed at all. We got one simply because our daughter's "big bed" will be a loft bed and there was no way I was puting a toddler in a bed that needed a ladder. Once she outgrows her toddler bed, I'll be more comfortable putting her in a raised bed. But a twin mattress right on the floor would have worked too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Go for the twin. I went from crib to queen. My son went from my bed to twin. Well, we had a toddler bed, but, mom's bed felt better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We put the boys in a twin at 15 months.

My 5 year old is still under the weight limit, but he's so tall he'd have no room in a toddler bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thanks everyone.
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009